ready to upgrade my design PC

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

ready to upgrade my design PC

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

Looking at upgrading my design PC and wondering what has the largest impact on Aspire to increase processing and video for calculating and simulating tool paths. Or am I jsut chasing a solution that has diminishing returns. It hard to believe that Vectric has incorporated and improvement in the software to take advantage of multiple threads , graphic board etc.

SO which has the biggest impact on Aspire
CPU processor I9 vs i7 vs i5
Memory 8 gig, vs 12 gig vs 16 gig vs 32 gig
separate graphics card with memory graphic with 2 gig vs4 gig vs 6 gig of separate memory vs integrated CPU video

TIA
Jim @heritagecarving

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: ready to upgrade my design PC

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Vectric really hasn't done much to incorporate the latest hardware features. A computer with all of the bells and whistles isn't necessary unless speed is a concern. I built my own from components using an Asus i7 MB with 32 gb of memory. It is definitely faster than my computer in the shop that came with my Camaster that only has 4 gb of memory but it handles Aspire just fine. The best advise I can give is to buy as much computer that you can afford. Even then, with the way hardware improvements are expanding, you will probably be looking to upgrade again 2 or 3 years from now.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

jssussex@gmail.com wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm
........Or am I jsut chasing a solution that has diminishing returns.

IMHO, I think so. No idea what you are currently running. These days if I were getting something new it would be another Intel NUC, with about 8-16Gb of RAM. My current one has 32GB and frankly, I think it is sitting there doing zippity doo dah most of the time. I do not play any games, just run things like Aspire and Rhino.

It hard to believe that Vectric has incorporated and improvement in the software to take advantage of multiple threads , graphic board etc.

Not really, when you get right down to it, Aspire is not a very graphics or calculation intensive program when compared to things like full 3D modelers, games, etc. A lot of what goes in inside Aspire is a very linear process so multi threading is not very important. Or let's put it this way, a software guy will do everything in his/her power to speed things up, so if they could gain any significant speed increases, they would have been on it long ago. That is because with any software, customers biggest request is ALWAYS: FASTER!!! FASTER!!!!

SO which has the biggest impact on Aspire
CPU processor I9 vs i7 vs i5
Memory 8 gig, vs 12 gig vs 16 gig vs 32 gig
separate graphics card with memory graphic with 2 gig vs4 gig vs 6 gig of separate memory vs integrated CPU video

It all sort of depends on how much you want to spend and what else you will be doing with that computer.

TIA
Jim @heritagecarving
I am in the process of building a new machine and control. The control will be an Arduino, for the front end is a Raspberry Pi 400 (same as a Pi 4 but inside a keyboard). Been playing with the setup as I go along and I am astounded by the capabilities of those little itty bitty computers.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

Aspire is the most intensive program i I use. Other than that i played with other software and sketchup but beyond that just core business desktop products nothing that will see any significant change based on the computer speed. Vectric Aspire is just aggravating waiting for it to process a large 3d program every time you make a minor change.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If your machine currently has a mechanical hard drive (probably 5,400rpm drive) then you can realize some reasonable speed improvement by replacing the mechanical drive with an SSD drive.

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. My only goal is to improve aspire simulation performance.

I currently have a 2018 15 inch touch screen Dell with i7 processor with 16 gig ram (maxed out), separate dedicated 2 gig video card and 500 gig SSD with 1800 (? Next step higher than 1024) pixel screen.

I don't game, I do up to 5 minute min videos, but 90% is email, web and aspire.

Happy with everything but Aspire performance.

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. My only goal is to improve aspire simulation performance.

I currently have a 2018 15 inch touch screen Dell with i7 processor with 16 gig ram (maxed out), separate dedicated 2 gig video card and 500 gig SSD with 1800 (? Next step higher than 1024) pixel screen.

I don't game, I do up to 5 minute min videos, but 90% is email, web and aspire.

Happy with everything but Aspire performance.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Aspire is very cpu dependant. The more cores the better.