Dust Collection - my solution

wood_fly
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro V5+Jetch Laser+Rotary

Dust Collection - my solution

Post by wood_fly »

Purchased a 450 cfm 6" in line and just plumbed it to the outside world. Worked great but the dust began to pile up...so I threw a dust deputy into the mix. Also built a collection box with a clear window to see when it fills up. And the back of the cabinet has a blast gate to the main dust collector so when it fills up, pull the gate, start the big 5 hp shop cyclone and clean it out. This way I don't have the noise and energy consumption of running the big one for 9+ hour carves and the air stays clean. Because it vents outside, I can also use it for smoke/fume removal when using the laser attachment.
Attachments
PXL_20211229_203428949.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Dust Collection - my solution

Post by scottp55 »

Nicely done!
A quiet shop is Really Nice!!

I'm a big fan of the DustDeputy as well!
Keeps my FeinII HEPA filter nice and clean, and paper bag replacements down to almost nothing...
IF you empty the canister!! :oops: :oops:
9.3.19 EMPTY DUST DEPUTY FIRST.jpg
Luckily suction noticeably drops off Before you really get into trouble IF you pay attention! :)
(been meaning to put a "window" in my steel canister for when I forget to test dust level with a 1" dowel)

Keep meaning to get a 4" Oneida for the garage(unheated) DC system...Very Good system! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Re: Dust Collection - my solution

Post by GEdward »

Very nice system indeed but... It has been single digit below and above 0°F for highs as of late in this region of paradise and heating 450 cfm of sub zero air is not in my budget. I'm thinking about ways to quiet things down but I'm not there yet. I thought about putting the vacuum/motor outside of the garage on a wall mount with a hood of some sort to protect it from the elements. Then I would return the air back into the garage with the discharge going into the final bag filter inside the shop. Better ideas are welcome. :wink:

Ed