Router Spindle Bit the Dust. . . .

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Router Spindle Bit the Dust. . . .

Post by TReischl »

Well, it had a good long run. It was a Porter Cable 892 EVS. Has been running on the machine for about 10 years. Then the other day, it just gave up the ghost. RIP. I liked it a lot, usually ran it at about 16K RPM so it was pretty darn quiet.

I have several old PC 690 series around the shop, so I put one in until I figured out what I wanted to do. Holy SMOKES!!!! LOUD!!!! Blows dust right out of the dust skirt. YIKES!!! Well this lit a fire underneath me real quick like.

The challenge was to have variable speed, ability to handle up to 1/2 shank tools, and have metric collets/nuts available. I run mostly metric tools these days so that is really important. After digging through the internet I finally settled on the Bosch 1617 EVS. Speed between 8K - 25K. I love the much lower speed, should come in handy for things like aluminum. Really, really quiet.

As for the collets. . . . looked at Precise Bits. They do have the ER20 nuts available (the spindle nose on this router will accept ER20). Problem is, I would need a nut for each size of bit I use 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm. These are about $20 apiece. Yea, I know, I could use one nut and change the collet. That is a PITA. Plus I would need to buy a special wrench and all the collets. Getting a bit pricey.

The other solution was to go to Elaire Corp up in Toledo, OH. They have the collet nuts with the collets installed for this router for a total price of about $80. I have purchased collets from these guys before and had no issues. Nice to be able to just pick up a collet, stick a tool in it and away I go!

Another nice thing about the Bosch is that the body of the router motor is the same size as the PC. So I do not have to buy or make a new motor mount.

Ok, so you are thinking to yourself: How come he did not just buy another Porter Cable and skip all the fun? Simple: Porter Cable no longer makes routers. Do not ask me why, I have been using them for about 40 years and always had good luck with them. Still have two 690 series that are going strong after all those years.

I am really looking forward to getting this Bosch all set up, just waiting on the collets from Elaire.

BTW, I did look into 2.2kw spindles. Too messy for my liking, VFD's, step up transformers, rewiring, configuring software, water coolers,etc. Nah, too much fiddling around. Remounting the microscope, laser module. . .nah. However, if I were building a new machine that is exactly the way I would go, there are some real benefits to real spindles.

OK, that is my story.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Router Spindle Bit the Dust. . . .

Post by Leo »

Ted,

I have a 4hp VFD Chinese water cooled spindle.

This morning I was cutting steel at 2800 RPM and 12 IPM.
DOC was .005 (it's a router - not a VMC)
90 degree V mill drill
Cutting a saw tooth for some vice jaws.

I will never look back.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I hear ya Leo!

For my steel cutting needs I have a small milling machine (mini mill) and a bench top lathe. But that is just for "shop" type projects so it works for me.

Interesting though, when I cut steel on the mini mill I generally run it at about 1200 RPM and .030 doc. Not sure that is a correct setting, but it seems to work out well with a decent feedrate. No idea what that is since I am turning the cranks by hand. Honestly though, I avoid cutting steel if I possibly can. Sure am going to be interested in how this new router will work with aluminum.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

The mini mill is likely a LOT more rigid than my router, so the parameters work. If I tried .03 at 1200 on my router that would certainly break the cutter.

If I was running a VMC I would most likely be more aggressive.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Leo, I agree whole heartedly with you about the rigidity thing.

Update: I got to looking at the business end of the Bosch. Seems they hold to outer bearing in with two M4 screws. Conveniently they drilled and tapped a 4 hole pattern. So there are two free tapped holes.

One of the things I have never liked about routers is the cooling fan blasting straight down. Quite often I will run without a dust shoe to see what is going on, especially on the initial cuts of a tricky piece. I got busy and made a blast deflector from a piece of .06 brass and installed it. Ahhhhh, no outrageous downblast anymore. If I want a bit of air going down I will put a few holes in it to allow some flow. Easy enough to do.

This sort of thing is what I was talking about before concerning the mill and lathe. I needed two small spacers to lift the brass up so the air could flow. In about 5 minutes I made two small spacers 4mm thick. Life is good!

Oh yea, to get some air flow to clear chips when cutting aluminum I rig up a small compressor that I can control the air flow with.