Lost Control of a Y axis direction

Sior sign design
Model of CNC Machine: Vortech 5x10

Lost Control of a Y axis direction

Post by Sior sign design »

I am hoping someone can assist me with a router issue that I'm currently experiencing.

I've got a 3-Axis, 5x10 (Vortech) table router. I updated the PC last year with MAch4 and added the PMDX-411 SmartBob port conversion.
Everything has been operating as usual until the other day when I lost control of a single direction
of the Y axis. The machine uses 2 motors on the Y axis. Both motors seem to work fine. I've checked
the stepper drivers by swapping out for a spare unit and no improvement.
Also, tried switching the contacts for the motors (Y to YY) and get them to go the opposite direction
which does make the motors reverse direction but, they still only go one way.
I've also swapped one of Y the motors to the X-axis and then able to operate in both directions.

Wires to the machine from the Smart-Bob also seem fine. Nothing was changed in the configurations prior
to this issue. Attempted to change config on that axis from hi to low with no success.

I've tried everything I can think along with reading every forum thread I can find.

Is it possible that the Smart Bob lost a function OR is it something else? I've attempted to contact them without any success.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PMDX-411 (S/N 39046) SmartBOB
Windows 7 / 64 Bit
Mach4 (v 4.2.0.4300)

Thanks,
Ric S.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Re: Lost Control of a Y axis direction

Post by GEdward »

I am not familiar with the PMDX-411 but all stepper motor drive setups operate fundamentally the same. The stepper drivers need both a step and direction command to drive the motor. Somewhere along the line you have lost the direction signal. By swapping out the driver you likely proved that the problem is upstream from there. Assuming that Mach4 is outputting both + and - signals for that axis, the problem is either with a connector and cabling or the break out board. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can prove out Mach4 by swapping axis outputs within Mach4 to see if the problem follows the axis or not. I use Mach3 so I don't know if Mach4 has the ability to monitor outputs. If so you could check to see if Mach4 is outputting a direction signal from that screen.
If it comes down to connectors/cables, then I'd unplug the connectors and check for oxidation and reconnect.

Good luck,
Ed

Sior sign design
Model of CNC Machine: Vortech 5x10

Post by Sior sign design »

Thanks Ed. I will try those suggestions and see what happens!

pviljoen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AvidCNC

Post by pviljoen »

If the direction keys are not responding here is the procedure I do.
Restart mach 4 and testing the function keys again and see it the spindle moves.
If not do a system reboot and test again.
If that does not help, follow the manuals procedure on how to recover the default backup profile settings (Mach4GUI process. This always helps, but it is much longer process.
NOTE: If you do the Mach4GUI process, remember to redo all your customer settings again. They are not saveed in the default backup of your profile settings.