Pacer Control Board Upgrade

Bagpress
Model of CNC Machine: Pacer 2512HDS

Pacer Control Board Upgrade

Post by Bagpress »

Good afternoon,
Has anybody out there got a Pacer router on which the have upgraded the controller and software to modern, supported versions? I have a 25/12HDS which is stuck in 'demo' mode with a 'safety broken' message and whilst this may be sorted by replacing the dongle code this has proved impossible to source. Basically I have been told that my router is fit only for scrap!!
This, I do not believe, given that the physical parts of the machine are perfectly functional and based around fairly standard, although a bit long in the tooth, motion control systems.
There must be a way to upgrade a machine such as this for significantly less than the cost of a whole new machine, mustn't there?
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Regards
Darren
www.bagpress.co.uk

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Re: Pacer Control Board Upgrade

Post by rig gap »

You might consider replacing the complete control system...www.centroidcnc.com

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

I can't find much information about your particular machine but I am certain that the motion control can be replaced. If the axis drives are servo motors then you will need to make sure of the compatibility with the new motion controller to handle communication with the servo drives.
Communication with stepper drives is pretty straight forward and there are literally dozens of choices for motion control boards. As previously pointed out, there are distributors that offer complete motion control packages as well. CNC for PC is one such supplier that I have used and there are many others.
There are several members of this forum with a lot experience and knowledge with this sort of thing and I am sure you will get as much help as you need to get it done if you choose to do it.
If you can provide more information about current motion control it might help in getting the best advise.
Ed

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Own a Pacer Router & changed the controller to something more up to date NO, replaced the control system on a CNC deamed as Scrap YES.

Its not a difficult job really, there are plenty of build sites with people who can help you if you are unsure what you are doing, there are also Companies who will do the whole job for you if you feel it is beyond you.

I have a Gerber system 48 which was sold to me as scrap.
Mechanically it was sound but there was a problem with the electronics side of things & the company who were suppose to be fixing it hadn't got a clue because non of their so called engineers had ever seen anything so old, the guy that owned it was losing money because he had work for it to do so went out & bought a brand new AXYZ machine :lol: :lol: :lol:
I bought it from him for basically scrap money, ripped the old electronics out & replaced the lot, I've also got an old Denford Triac which is more of a small CNC mill rather than a router which cost me £30. I have all the bits to do the same thing to that but just haven't got round to converting it yet :lol: :lol: :lol: