Which new video/graphics card?

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Which new video/graphics card?

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I'm 99.44% sure my video card is failing. So, time for a new one. What have you had luck with? I'm running Flexi 11, and Vectric Aspire. Something under $200 would be great.
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Which new video/graphics card?

Post by Adrian »

Aspire doesn't make use of the graphics card so pretty much anything will work. CPU and memory is more important for Aspire.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

As Adrian says, Vectric software doesn't use a graphics co-processor, but likes lots of RAM. Flexi 11 has a RIP, so it probably can use a co-pro if set up properly.

There's no point in spending lots of money on a graphics card though. Just about anything on the market these days will handle anything short of full-on gaming software.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Thanks Joe and Adrian. I thought Vectric software wasn't card dependent, but couldn't remember. I have an Intel i7-4790K 4GHz, and 16 GB RAM. I can go up to 32GB, so maybe that wouldn't hurt

Chris

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

16 GB is lots for almost all purposes. My SurfaceBook 2 has that, and even though I often run 2 or 3 copies of VCarve Pro at the same time in addition to Outlook, Excel, and Spotify, the memory usage doesn't max out. Only the Fusion software could use more.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As the others have said you won't gain anything using aspire, you may gain something using flexi but it would depend what you use it for, if you do mostly vector work then you probably won't gain much but if your doing a lot of large format printing then it will probably help, I stopped using flexi years ago, missed a couple of upgrades & then they wanted full price for me to continue so not sure how dependant it is now. For the Program I now use plus the photo editing software I use then a decent graphics card is a big help as is lots of ram, although my design computer is a little dated now, if I were still working full time then it would have been upgraded a long time ago :oops:
Don't know about your side of the pond but graphic card prices are insane over here just now according to my eldest son. He says that prices are starting to return to a more normal level but he is going to wait a bit longer before he buys his next one :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I do 99.44% of my vector work in Flexi, and then export/import into Vectric for the CAM portion of the project. ...just because I'm used to Flexi, not because Vectric's vector stuff isn't good.

I don't use a lot pf prints, and don't have a printer, so I use Signs 365 for prints when I need them.

I've updated all the drivers I could, and the BIOS, and removed and reset the RAM and graphics card, so we'll see if that did anything for me. Maybe there's something deeper. Previously, if I left the computer on overnight, the monitor would not wake back up. The computer appeared to, but no video. I even plugged in a different monitor with a different cable, and no luck. I plugged it in to the MoBo video output, and still no go. I had to reboot the computer 2 to 10 times for the video to come back. I know Windows sleep, and hybrid sleep can have issues, but that was all shut off. I don't know... maybe it's more than one issue. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the tips!
Chris