Anyone with experience with the WorkBee CNC?

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee CNC

Anyone with experience with the WorkBee CNC?

Post by KevinC »

Not sure if this is the right spot to discuss this or if it's even allowed. If not then mods please delete.

I'm looking at the open source DIY WorkBee CNC kit. I'm curious if anyone has attempted building this CNC and if it's a good quality machine. I'm most interested in your experiences with it.

I know there are CNC's out there but the price point on this machine is right where I need it. Without opening a can of worms or causing any distress among the posters I'm open to suggestions of other machines if they are within the same price point as the WorkBee.

Also what kind of spindle are you using in it?

T4 Concepts
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee

Re: Anyone with experience with the WorkBee CNC?

Post by T4 Concepts »

Hi Kevin,

I'm probably a little bit late responding to this one, but I've just recently joined this fantastic forum and just come across your question.
Everything you need to know about the WorkBee is in this build thread that I made a couple of years ago > https://openbuilds.com/builds/workbee-c ... help.6407/ As I'm in France I ordered mine from 'Ooznest' in the UK.

Get yourself on the 'OpenBuilds' website, their forum is superb :wink:

Hope that helps mate.

TURK

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee CNC

Post by KevinC »

Wow Turk that is a great thread on the topic. I have successfully built my WorkBee and will be starting my test runs and determining proper feeds and speeds this coming weekend. My first cut will be leveling the waste board. Should be interesting. My WorkBee has the 1000mm X 1500mm bed with the Duet Controller. So far I have been very pleased with how the Interface works and the machine responds to it. The build was easier than I imagined. When I opened up all the boxes and got everything out I was intimidated with all the parts and pieces. However I just took it one step at a time and before I knew I was done. Ooznest has incredible instructions for assembly. Same with wiring up the Duet, Stepper Motors and Limit Switches. And yes they have awesome support. For a spindle I am using the 1-1/4hp 7amp Dewalt 611 trimming router with variable speeds and full-time electronic feedback.

After posting this thread I did find OpenBuilds Forum and was able to get my early questions answered.

For the 1200 plus viewers that clicked this thread I have this to say. This machine is solid with no give. The assembly and wiring is easy and straight forward. This machine is sourced by several vendors. Ooznest, OpenBuilds and BulkMan are a few. I have purchased parts and pieces from all 3 and all of them have been a breeze to work with. I would say I'm an average mechanically inclined individual so I really feel if I can do it anyone can. So don't let building you CNC intimidate you. Building your own is cheaper and an added benefit is you know every nut and bolt on this machine. So when you something goes wrong (and eventually it will) you'll know how (or have a pretty good idea how) to fix it.

If anyone is interested check back in from time to time as I will be updating this thread with my experiences with it's performance as I start running it through it's paces.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

So…how’s that Workbee working out over the last month?

I’ve been looking at the OpenBuilds LEAD machines myself.
I want to be unique like everyone else.