Installing controller, Laguna IQ

Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Installing controller, Laguna IQ

Post by Olle »

My Laguna IQ has started behaving erratically in the past two weeks, and I suspect there's something wrong with the controller. Sometimes it refuses to read from the USB, sometimes it will re-read from the USB after jogging the machine and sometimes it will go awol and not react to input at all. There has also been some other erratic behavior, and a lot of it seems to be related to how/when/if it reads from the USB. Today it lost index and moved about 1mm sideways without me noticing it, so I basically spent the whole day producing firewood.

I can't see that it could be anything else than a bad controller or handheld. After all, I have run the machine at least 4 days a week for the past 5-6 years so it does have a few hours on it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to buy, what to do and how to do it.

The controller is a RichAuto, and I believe it's the A11 model. The process of swapping it out physically shouldn't be a problem, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to the rest. My previous experience with Laguna is that they sell generic parts for 2-3 times more than anybody else, so the biggest question is if there's anything specific to Laguna in it, or if I can buy any A11 controller. The other question is if there's an easy way to export and import all the machine specific data. I have seen that there's a way to do a backup, but I don't know if that backup will be enough to get a new controller up and running.

I'm a total idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Re: Installing controller, Laguna IQ

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I would rewire it to a different controller, but if you got 5 years out of it, maybe you will get 5 years out of another rich controller?
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

The other question is if there's an easy way to export and import all the machine specific data. I have seen that there's a way to do a backup, but I don't know if that backup will be enough to get a new controller up and running.
I took a quick look at the A11 controller specifications and see no reason that you wouldn't be able to simply replace yours with another. That is if, as you point out, you have the machine specific parameters to program into the replacement. Is there a way that you can actually see that information? What you are looking for is the area that defines things like the number of pulses per unit of axis movement, the acceleration and deceleration parameters, etc. If you can find that information then you can write it down and enter it into your replacement controller per the manufacturer's instruction should using your backup not work out.

The problems you are having remind me of what I'd expect if you have loose, worn or dirty connections somewhere in the system. I would try cleaning the USB connection and any other connections between the hand held unit and the motion control unit. Another consideration, although perhaps a remote possibility, is if there are any newly introduced sources of electronic interference in your shop. Radio interference signals from something as simple as a garage door remote can cause strange things to happen.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.
Ed

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

This may help.
Please do let us know how this turns out. I have an IQ with an HHC as well.

https://www.kingbeckcnc.com/wp-content/ ... Set-Up.pdf
Attachments
DSP-Control-System-Set-Up.pdf
(607.16 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Post by Olle »

Ken Rychlik wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:19 pm
I would rewire it to a different controller, but if you got 5 years out of it, maybe you will get 5 years out of another rich controller?
I haven't counted, but I'd say that I have easily put 5,000 hrs on it (probably closer to 10,000). I don't know how long these things last, but I still think I got my money's worth out of it. Also, for a dummy like me it's way easier to go back with the same type.
GEdward wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm
I took a quick look at the A11 controller specifications and see no reason that you wouldn't be able to simply replace yours with another. That is if, as you point out, you have the machine specific parameters to program into the replacement. Is there a way that you can actually see that information? What you are looking for is the area that defines things like the number of pulses per unit of axis movement, the acceleration and deceleration parameters, etc. If you can find that information then you can write it down and enter it into your replacement controller per the manufacturer's instruction should using your backup not work out.

The problems you are having remind me of what I'd expect if you have loose, worn or dirty connections somewhere in the system. I would try cleaning the USB connection and any other connections between the hand held unit and the motion control unit. Another consideration, although perhaps a remote possibility, is if there are any newly introduced sources of electronic interference in your shop. Radio interference signals from something as simple as a garage door remote can cause strange things to happen.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.
Ed
I can flip through the menus and get pretty much all information I need, but being a dummy I'll probably miss something crucial. However, I believe the backup will contain all the settings necessary. I just don't know for sure, but it would pretty much defeat the purpose of a backup if it didn't. I opened the backup file and scrolled through it, and it appears that it's pretty complete.

I have already checked all the connections, and couldn't find any obvious problems. Everything is clean, and since the machine has always been in a climate controlled room there shouldn't be any oxidation on them. However, I have to change USB sticks at least twice a day, so that connection could very well be worn out.
litzluth wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:56 pm
This may help.
Please do let us know how this turns out. I have an IQ with an HHC as well.

https://www.kingbeckcnc.com/wp-content/ ... Set-Up.pdf
Thanks, that will help!

I talked to a Laguna support guy today, and described the problems. He said that it could possibly be a worn out USB connection, but it could also be a controller issue. Since I use this machine in daily production, I will probably bite the bullet and buy a new controller. It's $900 (as opposed to $450-$500 from other sources), but it's preset for my machine, I don't risk to get a lookalike knock-off and most importantly: They have it in stock in TX so I can have it here mid next week. I will probably order a few spare stepper motors and limit switches as well. I just lost a couple of weeks on a burned out spindle, so I can't afford much downtime right now. In hindsight, I should have had more parts on the shelf already.