HGH15CA Rail Block Slider

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made/Linear rails/1605 Screw-drive

HGH15CA Rail Block Slider

Post by Clockman »

Hiwin HGH15CA Rail Block Slider
What is the best way to grease these blocks and which grease is best to use, there are nipples on the blocks with very tiny ball bearings, and I have tried squirting grease in with a syringe, but I am not sure if any went in or not.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: HGH15CA Rail Block Slider

Post by Adrian »

According to the specs for those it's lithium soap grease through the nipples every 100km of running.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What does the manufacturer recommend? I would have a look to see what they say about their carriages, I would imagine it is either a low viscosity grease or oil. Some other factors may come into play when selecting what to use. Are the rails covered at all & do you have wippers fitter to the rails to remove dirt etc as the carriage moves backward & forward (or up & down) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian beat me to it :lol:

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

As martin54 alludes to is that there are caveats to the service interval recommendations. Whether or not the rail mounting bolt hole counter bores are capped or not makes a huge difference. If they are not I would strongly recommend capping them. Wiping the rails down with a lightly oiled cloth after each session is a good practice to get into. That alone will go a long way toward extending the service life of the bearings. In fact, some manufacturers recommend that is all you need. If you don't have the ability to know how many Km/miles your axis' have traveled then an hourly service interval might work out better. If you math out the 100Km recommendation at 50mm/sec rapid rate you get about 550 hours between service intervals. That might be a little long for more hostile environments; especially if the rail mounting holes are not capped. It is possible to over grease and push out the wipers. Most failures occur due to contamination, not for lack of lubrication.
If the grease fittings are cup shaped then a pointed rubber adapter on the grease gun should work. I have successfully used vinyl or silicone tubing with a syringe for really small nipple grease fittings. Otherwise, I believe Hiwin has grease guns, adapters and fittings available.

Ed

PRO4824
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO4824

Post by PRO4824 »

Avid Cnc has a grease gun adapter tip for their bearing blocks.
Attachments
20210227_212228.jpg
20210227_212211.jpg
Isaiah 41-10

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made/Linear rails/1605 Screw-drive

Post by Clockman »

Thank you all for the replies, the rail holes are covered with caps and the Hiwin blocks have rubber wipers fitted, I do also wipe the rails with a lightly oiled cloth now and then, I have got this grease== https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/produ ... LUQAvD_BwE
I need to get a grease gun to fit the nipple, I will have a look today and see if there are any available in the UK I have a syringe and silicone tubing but it is impossible to see if the grease is going in there or not, I have an old Hiwin block that the bearings fell out of ? (don't ask why) Tomorrow I will remove the nipple from that and fix it to a thin piece of aluminium held in a vice and see if the grease goes through that
Thanks for the link PRO4824