Arduino, GRBL, Experiences So Far

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Re: Arduino, GRBL, Experiences So Far

Post by rink »

Man, am I glad to find this thread. I’ve thought about building my own CNC for a while, but I’m afraid I don’t have enough electronics knowledge, and I’m afraid that at the end of the day, I will spend just as much piecemeal as I would buying a plug-and-play machine. I’ve also had difficulty finding a good “overall” picture of how all the pieces go together. So I will be monitoring this thread as long as it goes. Thanks Treischl for blazing this trail and documenting it for us.

Drafting machine…I dreamed of a drafting machine! I spent 7th through 12th grades in drafting class with a drawing board, T-square, and a couple triangles. Oh, and a lettering template! And an ellipse template…which I still have. We started out with mechanical drawing, eventually progressing to architectural drawings. I loved every minute of it. Except the days when Mr. Edwards started the class with “Ok, today we’re gonna work on lettering…”, ugh. Won an award in my senior year. It was my dream to someday…when I could afford it…to have an actual drafting table with a drafting machine attached. My plan was to go to college, become an engineer or architect and live happily ever after. Of course, as life happens…I got married, had a couple kids, took night and summer classes, and graduated with an accounting degree. Yawn. But everything happens for a reason, and my education has opened many doors and served me well, so no complaints. And over the years, every chance I got…I drew something. Several office layouts, project plans for my makeshift (garage) workshop, etc. I’ve been blessed to live in four homes that I’ve designed and drawn myself (and some lessons learned on every one of them!). And yes…dues paid…I have actually used a slide rule! My dad gave me one when I was a kid and he showed me how to use it. Good times.

With that background…I’m almost speechless at the technology that I have available to me today. Starting with T-squares and triangles, I now have 3D design capability on my desktop, and the ability to convert those virtual designs into physical objects with minimal effort. I never thought I’d see affordable 3D design capability in the hands of regular people in my lifetime. Incredible. And VCarve, pound-for-pound, is one of the best computer applications I’ve ever encountered. Almost as cool as Excel, too. :D

And, as if that wasn’t enough, now I can think about building my own CNC with off-the-shelf parts. And not some throw together makeshift thing either, but a bona fide high-quality piece of equipment. What a lucky duck I am!

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

rink wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 pm
... What a lucky duck I am!
Agreed! I feel like I live in "the future"! My previous reference to "Slipstick Libby" may reveal what "literature" I grew up with and on... and for the most part, it is now every-day reality. Making your own manufacturing system from cheap parts that arrive at your door within 2 days of ordering? Amazing. I shake my head at my good fortune to have been born when and where I was.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

TReischl wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm
Try that 45 years ago. . .
In the old days, I got all my info from magazines, and books for more in depth knowledge. You could learn almost as much back then, but not in 30 seconds like now.

Before online shopping, I mail ordered everything, including big tool purchases.

Bought my first PC and CAD program 30 years ago, when they were still pretty rare.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ger21 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:37 pm
TReischl wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm
Try that 45 years ago. . .
In the old days, I got all my info from magazines, and books for more in depth knowledge. You could learn almost as much back then, but not in 30 seconds like now.

Before online shopping, I mail ordered everything, including big tool purchases.

Bought my first PC and CAD program 30 years ago, when they were still pretty rare.
You sure that was 30 years ago Gerry? Got my first PC in the mid 80's. Started on a TI 99 4a, graduated to a Commodore 64 and the rest is history. Pretty sure I bought that TI in 1980. I remember selling 10 MB hard disc drives for $10K and telling people they would never fill it up. Graphics? What graphics? Want graphics, buy a plotter for another 5K or so, LOL. How about Bernoulli drives?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Yep, TI 99, with external cassette tape player for data storage and programs!

Who’s even heard of TI these days?

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Jeez this trip down memory lane is depressing me. TRS80 for me. I can still see that ball bouncing around the screen. Talk about graphics :mrgreen:
Then I “Graduated” to a Mac 512 and thought I was in ‘puter heaven.
I’m getting tired. Think I’ll go to bed.
Meanwhile, back to your regularly scheduled program ( Or thread)

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I meant an IBM clone PC, running Windows 3.1.
I had an Atari 800XL in the early to mid 80's.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

TReischl wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:06 am

You sure that was 30 years ago Gerry? Got my first PC in the mid 80's. Started on a TI 99 4a, graduated to a Commodore 64 and the rest is history. Pretty sure I bought that TI in 1980. I remember selling 10 MB hard disc drives for $10K and telling people they would never fill it up. Graphics? What graphics? Want graphics, buy a plotter for another 5K or so, LOL. How about Bernoulli drives?
This is the OTHER Gerry..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the mid 70's I was assigned to evaluate a Apple II with a special graphics chip that emulated a $20K Tektronix graphics terminal. I was the only software guy that knew anything about micros. We spent a great deal on those Tektronix terminals, and this might be a cheap alternative for testing. The chip barely met any requirements. BUT I bought a Apple II+ with tape recorder and told the wife THIS WAS ALL I'D EVER NEED for a computer. I was later one of those folks that got together a group buy on Davong 10MB hard drives for CP/M (Apple version). I got 'em for a bargain of $8,000 each. :roll:

P.S. That year I did write a Tektronix emulator for my Apple in 'C', just so I didn't have to go into work in the middle of the night for testing.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Hi Ted, doing a lot of reading and watching. Still waiting for my stepper motor drivers, should arrive tomorrow.

In your schematic, you show the XYZ pulses hooked up to pins 24,25, 26 and the directions hooked up to 30, 31, 32 which I know you know. Now how does the Arduino know? All the videos I have seen kind of by pass that, a lot of them using shields. Do you have to pin map GRBL or firmware, or is there an easy way I’m missing?
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Hello Bill,

Yea, it is sort of mystery, kinda. The GRBL software that you install on the board determines the pin connections. I did a search for Arduino GRBL Mega 2560 pinout and this popped up:

https://circuitchemas.blogspot.com/2019 ... inout.html

So that is how I knew what the connections should be.

One thing I am having an issue with is looking at the "open source" code. The little I have seen does not define pinouts. I am sure they are there somewhere but beats me where, or even what tool I should use to look at the files. Thinking that the Arduino IDE should work, just need to spend more time with it. If you head over to Dronebot on YouTube he does some excellent videos that cover the programming of the Arduino which explains how pins are assigned via software. But GRBL is already written so there is no need really.

I am waffling around like you with this machine design. Just cannot make up my mind. I have two designed and I do not like either one. I am sure they would run just fine, but they are both really boring, nothing new in them (for me at least). Doing a belt drive machine keeps running through my mind but I am not happy with the 3D printer method of doing so. Gotta give that some thought. Then, like you, cannot make up my mind about a machine that is tailored for doing small 3D work which also might handle aluminum nicely. Belt drives cutting aluminum. . .makes me cringe a little bit, but I am probably over thinking it. Time to put the engineer hat back on and do some calcs with belt strengths, stretching, etc.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

gkas wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:22 am

This is the OTHER Gerry..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see you are in So Cal? I used to get into San Jose a lot for work. My absolute favorite spot was Computer Literacy book store, I think it was on like 1st street? Beat the heck out of sitting around in a hotel room or bar all evening. Well, on some days anyway, LOL.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Thanks much Ted. It’s built in to the GRBL firmware depending on the Arduino you are using. I did see a post somewhere asking if they could be changed. A commenter pointed to a file and you could see the pin assignments there, but it wasn’t clear if you could change them without compiling the file again. That being said, now that I know why, I’m happy to have them where they are.
BillK

larrybadgett
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

rink wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:12 am
Yep, TI 99, with external cassette tape player for data storage and programs!

Who’s even heard of TI these days?
How about a Radio Shack CoCo Color and Bulletin Boards on a party land line before internet.
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Well, I do remember computer bulletin boards. Although, you got me on that party line!

thx, rink.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Happiness is spinning pieces of blue tape.
Attachments
5EE5E102-DA63-4F15-AA9F-6C061550E196.jpeg
BillK