Anyone have any experience using Datron endmill with 24k Spindle?

Perturabo
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro V5

Anyone have any experience using Datron endmill with 24k Spindle?

Post by Perturabo »

Hi everyone

Quick question, have anyone tried using Datron endmills to work with a 24k spindle?
I plan to make an acrylic display for some of my collections and I plan to use Datron's single flute end mill,
I've used their foam cutters before to cut foam, however I feel like foam is a different beast compared to acrylics.

Especially since most of the videos I see is that their end mills are cutting at 40k rpm compared to mine, which can only go max 24k RPM.
Attachments
Mockup Vcarve 2.png
Mockup Vcarve.png

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Re: Anyone have any experience using Datron endmill with 24k Spindle?

Post by Todd D »

I haven’t used the Datron endmill but when I cut acrylic on my 24k spindle cnc I cut at 8000 rpm and get nice shavings with no melting.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Perturabo wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am
Hi everyone

Quick question, have anyone tried using Datron endmills to work with a 24k spindle?
I plan to make an acrylic display for some of my collections and I plan to use Datron's single flute end mill,
I've used their foam cutters before to cut foam, however I feel like foam is a different beast compared to acrylics.

Especially since most of the videos I see is that their end mills are cutting at 40k rpm compared to mine, which can only go max 24k RPM.

After reading the material and description of the Datron Milling Centers, the reason they advertise the high (40 and 60 k) spindle speeds and the related feed rates is their machines are adapted to "high speed" machining or some call it adaptive machining...this means the toolpathing software is modified to cut in very shallow increments for short periods and moving around the profiles in specifically programmed moves that are planned by the CAM software...if your software doesn't have this capability (Vectric does not...sorry to say), trying to mimic that kind of operation will only cause many broken cutters...before retiring, I was in the machining trade, and being able to do "high speed" machining meant we had to make serious (costly) upgrades to our machines and CAM software.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't use their cutters...by all means you should try them, but your spindle speeds and feedrates will have to be considerably slower.

Perturabo
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro V5

Post by Perturabo »

Todd D wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:24 am
I haven’t used the Datron endmill but when I cut acrylic on my 24k spindle cnc I cut at 8000 rpm and get nice shavings with no melting.
Ok cool! what end mill do you use? have you experience "bird nest" or when the acrylic shavings get stuck on the end mill?

rig gap wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm
Perturabo wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am
Hi everyone

After reading the material and description of the Datron Milling Centers, the reason they advertise the high (40 and 60 k) spindle speeds and the related feed rates is their machines are adapted to "high speed" machining or some call it adaptive machining...this means the toolpathing software is modified to cut in very shallow increments for short periods and moving around the profiles in specifically programmed moves that are planned by the CAM software...if your software doesn't have this capability (Vectric does not...sorry to say), trying to mimic that kind of operation will only cause many broken cutters...before retiring, I was in the machining trade, and being able to do "high speed" machining meant we had to make serious (costly) upgrades to our machines and CAM software.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't use their cutters...by all means you should try them, but your spindle speeds and feedrates will have to be considerably slower.

Ah okay then, it a nutshell they consistently use Adaptive toolpaths then? I'm curious on how effective/efficient adaptive is especially with a high speed machine like Datron. Besides adaptive, will the normal pocket toolpath from Vcarve work in this case?

I've been cutting EVA foam with Datron's end mill with normal pocket toolpath, however acrylic is a different beast than foam. I'll definitely tinker around the speed and feeds

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Post by Todd D »

Perturabo wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 am
Todd D wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:24 am
Ok cool! what end mill do you use? have you experience "bird nest" or when the acrylic shavings get stuck on the end mill?

I have used 2 flute 1/4" and 1/8" spiral up cut, 60' V bit and tapered bullnose, with good results. I haven't had the birds nest at all but there was some melting of shavings when the speed was too high, 8000 rpm seems to be the ticket for my machine.

The photo is corian which cuts similar to acrylic, this was 1/8" spiral end mill, you can zoom in to see shavings,
Attachments
IMG_6777.jpeg