Water cooled spindle and VFD set

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made/Linear rails/1605 Screw-drive

Water cooled spindle and VFD set

Post by Clockman »

Can anyone recommend a water cooled spindle and VFD set, I want to upgrade from a Makita router to a spindle, I had a look on CNC4YOU website and they have what I want, spindle, mount and matching VFD, but it is £500 including VAT and delivery, I was hoping to get it a bit cheaper than that, what about the Chinese kits on E-bay, are they any good, or should they be avoided

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Re: Water cooled spindle and VFD set

Post by GEdward »

I have had very good luck with Huanyang VFDs and spindle motors. They are not the least expensive of the offshore offerings but for the money their products are about as reputable and well supported as any I have had experience with. I bought a 3 bearing 2.2Kw model 4 years ago and it is still performing well. When I came across a good deal on a 4 bearing Huanyang 2.2Kw motor I picked it up for less than $150 as a contingency plan for when the first one eventually fails. I would advise that regardless of what brand you end up with, buy from a reputable distributor located in in your country that will support their product if there is a quality issue. Following the recommended break in procedure is important. I also strongly recommend getting a water cooled model. It is worth the extra expense and setup effort for the gain in reliability and quiet operation. I set mine up with a computer coolant radiator and fan which combined with the fan on the frequency inverter, makes more noise than the spindle. Just my two cents but it works well for me.

Ed

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

x2 on the Huanyang inverter and 4 bearing spindle water cooled. Best upgrade I have done in a while.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

Thank you both for the replies, it seems Huanyang is the one to get then, 4 bearings if I can, I will start looking in the morning, did you both get yours on E-bay, I am in the UK

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I bought a G-Penny 800W water cooled spindle with VFD on AliExpress. It fits into the Shapeoko perfectly and is only about twice the weight of the Dewalt Router it replaced.

That spindle is grounded so make sure whatever you get has the ground connected.

It has enough power to challenge the rigidity of the machine. A big 2.2KW spindle is overkill and has way too much mass and power for a simple machine like the Shapeoko or similar
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

Thank you Gary
I built my own CNC machine after starting off with an X-Carve from Inventables, I soon realized that belts and wheels were way too much trouble, so I now have 1605 ball-screw and Hiwin rails and blocks, which does not need any adjusting, so everything is really strong and rigid, and should cope with the 2.2KW okay, but I will have a look at the G-Penny 800W anyway, I have not heard of them before and as I am in the UK I would rather buy from here if possible in case of any issues,
The Huanyang I have looked for on E-bay are all shipped from the USA, so I would have to pay postage which is a lot, and then pay VAT and custom fees, so I will have to look again at what I can get in the UK, the one I was looking at is here
https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Spindle/Water ... plus-Mount

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Hi,
I am in the UK and before Brexit I got from Germany this package for £350 DHL delivered I forget the name but look on ebay for this package. It works great no problems. Phill

1 x 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor (ER20, 4pcs bearings,24000rpm, 220V, 400Hz)
1 x 2.2KW Inverter VFD 220V Huan yang brand
1 x 80mm cast aluminium bracket
1 set ER20 collets (14Pcs)
(1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 3.175mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm,8mm,9mm,10mm,11mm,12mm,13mm)

1 x 75W water pump
1 x 6M water pipes
The English manual of VFD will send by email.
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

They can be had though Amazon as well. That is where I got my backup spindle for less that $150 USD. Also, with Amazon, you get an extra layer of protection from the purchase standpoint.

Ed

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

Thanks Phill
I had look on E-bay and found the package you mentioned, but not from Germany, only from the USA
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-2KW-ER20-W ... H#shpCntId
It is a very good price if that was the final price I had to pay, but it is a bit of a gamble at the moment getting a delivery from the USA, with VAT and customs duty when it arrives I don't know what I will have to pay,
And Ed I also had a look on Amazon UK but it's not on there maybe only on Amazon US

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

I have done some more research on importing from the USA, and with VAT and whatever other duty I have to pay it will still work out cheaper than the UK one I linked to which was £500+ with VAT and postage, and then I would still need to buy the pump, tubing and collets, so I might go with the one from the USA as it has the whole package

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

I have had a closer look at the shipping and it seems the Chinese seller has a warehouse in the USA where they keep stock for their American customers, and for buyers from any other country it is shipped straight from China, I am going to go with this package, the spindle only has 2 bearings, I will ask the seller if I can have one with 4 bearings,
Sorry Ed, the spindle can be had on Amazon UK but only the spindle not the full package, can the bearings be replaced on these spindles, if so I will not worry too much about them at the moment

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The "local warehouse" thing is a scam that many Chinese sellers use to trick the algorithms on eBay and Amazon. Not saying that is definitely the case here but many still ship directly from China even when they say the goods are local.

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Clockman »

Thank's Adrian, it is hard to know what to believe anymore, I will take a chance buying from China, it is a lot cheaper than the one I linked to from CNC4YOU

confused2
Model of CNC Machine: homebrew excellence

Post by confused2 »

I purchased a vfd for my mill which had a 3/4 hp. single phase motor on it. Had to convert to 3phase motor at the time. Lincoln motors were just bought out by Century and the one I found on E-bay was 50.00 New old stock. The vfd was 5 times more expensive at the time. The vfd transformed the machine. I had zero to over rev in all belt positions. Could turn a knob to suit speed instead of changing belts.Stop fast, start slow. When my expensive vfd quit I bought Hunglow or some such off e-bay and it seems to work fine. As I recall it ran about 80.00 dollars. Upgrades are a personal choice in my opinion. If you get a chance, see a few in action. That can be the deciding factor. :)

confused2
Model of CNC Machine: homebrew excellence

Post by confused2 »

I agree with Adrians Statement about " in stock In USA location" It is a scam to get a few more bucks for the products. The Packets from China are a slower process intentionally. :)