X axis drift

Snozbear
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom iR6

X axis drift

Post by Snozbear »

Hi
I am new to cnc and would appreciate any advice you can give.
I have an axiom iR26 cnc machine and use Vectric software.
My cuts do not follow the toolpath shown in the simulation on Vectric.
I am trying to make a small circular mirror frame 350mm external diameter.
The file includes a toolpath for an outer profile cut, a toolpath for an internal cut leaving the frame 25mm wide. I also have a toolpath for a rebate of 10mm x 10mm on the inner edge to sit the mirror in.
All looks fine on the toolpath simulations.
When I cut the rebate it is usually perfect and circular.
On the latest try, The rebate was ok but the external and internal profile cuts drifted in the x positive direction. The first couple of passes seemed to be ok but with each subsequent pass the cut moved 2 to 3 mm in the positive x direction. This happened repeatedly even when the project was repeated from scratch using a new file. Not the edited old file.
The feed rate was 40ipm and the cutting speed was 16000rpm.
The bit was a 1/4inch endmill.
I have reinstalled both the Vectric software and the software for the Axiom.
These trial cuts were on particle board and 2.5mm was taken at each pass.
Don’t know where to go from here.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: X axis drift

Post by Adrian »

Assuming you've had successful cuts with the machine then issues like that are nearly always physical rather than anything to do with software.

Look for loose connections between the stepper motors and whatever drive system is used (leadscrews, gears, belts etc). Look for build up of dust in lead screws, belts etc. Check that each axis can move freely with no binding especially at the extremes of movement and when both the X and Y are moving together.

Another thing it can be is pushing the machine too hard (feed rate, cut depth) so the steppers "stall" and lose steps.

If you've never had the machine cutting successfully then also verify that it's been calibrated correctly in the control software and you're using the correct post processor in the Vectric software.