Open Builds Experience

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Open Builds Experience

Post by rink »

Good evening.

Anyone running an Open Builds machine? I searched a few of the sub forums but didn’t see anything. I’ve had my eye on their Lead 1010 machine (1000x1000mm) for my “someday” upgrade and now they’ve introduced a Lead 1515 (1500x1500mm).

Their quality looks good. And the prices are great in relation to size and specs, seems to me.

Just wondering about anyone’s real-world experience.

Thx, rink
I want to be unique like everyone else.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Open Builds Experience

Post by gkas »

It certainly doesn't look like the stoutest machine around.

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

I am (slowly) re-building a 1510 that I bought second hand. I am replacing the wheels with linear rails.
Inspiration from here https://openbuilds.com/builds/1510-wor ... fied.7967/
Mine is lead screw driven instead of the normal belt driven axis.
I will ramp up this project in February next year when I have more spare time
It will be replacing a modified Chinese 6040.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Didn’t like the V-wheels?

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

Well, to be honest, I have not tested it yet. When I bought the machine I had to dismantle it to get it in my car. And as place in the shed is running low I have not assembled it (yet).
I have read a ton of messages from forums about this machine and two things stand out:
1. The belt needs to be adjusted a lot and there is some adjustments for the backlash to be made to get precision.
2. The wheels needs to be adjusted as well.
Based on that and that the rails are fairly cheap to buy, I did that, bought linear rails.
The stepper motors on my machine are rather weak and I have decided to buy stronger stepper motors.
I bought my machine extremely cheap, more than 50% off from the retail price so I have some bucks to spend to get it the way I want the build.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

I’ve been looking at the Lead 1010 and the Lead 1515. Both have lead screws rather than belts. Personally, I would prefer to stay away from belts. I’m sure current tech and materials make them very effective/accurate and I know there are lots of machines out there turning out great quality with belt-driven mechanisms. But I really prefer lead screws if I can swing it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Congrats on your new machine. Sounds like you have a good plan. Best of luck.

Thx, rink.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

gkas wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:19 am
It certainly doesn't look like the stoutest machine around.
Thanks for the feedback. I do hobby work in my personal workshop. All wood. No metals so far and no plans to do so.

For my education...what gives you concern about the stoutness of that machine?

Thx, rink.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

It's all light channel and end plates. It will not be rigid. To get accuracy and repeatability you'll need to take miniscule cuts, otherwise belt stretch and flex will kill you. You'll never be able to make the same cut twice, and the cuts will take forever, because they will have to be slow and shallow.

Believe me, I started with an X-***** kit, and ended up giving it away. I could not get a straight bevel cut on a Paradise Box.

Take a hint, and buy your second machine first. If your budget is small, wait and save. I could have saved myself a LOT of money, and a WHOLE lot of frustration.

A good kit machine, from what I've heard, is the AVIDcnc. It's got linear guide rails, rack and pinion, and ball screw Z, and much more.

GRMark
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds Workbee

Post by GRMark »

I have an Open Builds machine and have had very good luck running Vectric on it. I beefed up my machine a bit and get great results. I'll attach a project Image as an XMAS present to see the results I achieve.
Attachments
Duck 3D carving.jpg

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Thanks.
How did you beef it up?

Sonicboom247
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds 1515

Post by Sonicboom247 »

GRMark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 pm
I have an Open Builds machine and have had very good luck running Vectric on it. I beefed up my machine a bit and get great results. I'll attach a project Image as an XMAS present to see the results I achieve.
Love that piece!, i have the 1515, not sure how you could beef it up more. it is metal plates on aluminum rails, with a corner bracket on every angle but i am open to suggestions, my only issue has been screws coming loose either at a motor connection or a bracket but i now go through on sundays and tighten everything down which is barely anything else and do a good cleaning.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Sonicboom247 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:53 pm
GRMark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 pm
Love that piece!, i have the 1515, not sure how you could beef it up more. it is metal plates on aluminum rails, with a corner bracket on every angle but i am open to suggestions, my only issue has been screws coming loose either at a motor connection or a bracket but i now go through on sundays and tighten everything down which is barely anything else and do a good cleaning.
I suppose you could use that blue thread-lock adhesive stuff to keep the screws from loosening up.