Upgrade advice

Kafi
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 840

Upgrade advice

Post by Kafi »

Hi,

I currently have a Stepcraft 840 and was looking to upgrade to a more capable machine. I am currently looking at the Axiom Pro V5 as a replacement. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for or against? Or even suggesting a different machine?

Regards,
Sonny

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Upgrade advice

Post by Adrian »

A lot depends on what your budget and workspace requirements are.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Sonny,
In addition to Adrian's info needed;
What cutting area size are you looking for, and what type of projects are you Most interested in?
(note that whatever you're thinking Now..it Will change as you get into it...but a good starting point:)

Spindle if you can afford it is Great.

Limit switches for homing...don't know what I would do without them.
(and a Z limit switch has saved me more than once)

Positional accuracy numbers are important, as a lot of cuts can be vastly improved by simply running a second pass to clean the cut up.

A LOT of brand loyalty here...I'm guilty of that myself:)

Don't want to get any Axiom guys mad at me...and may very well not be an issue anymore,
But just a personal story;
A Lady had bought that machine you mentioned, and files looked great...
but when she took the file into garage and plugged it in she wasn't getting the results she wanted.
I offered to have her up to my shop for an afternoon(which turned into 3 days:) even though our machines
aren't the same.
My original job with my Desktop was to prototype many products for production...
and then shoot the files 250 miles North for a machine identical to mine to produce product.
My machine has a control computer with VCP on it, and MOST of prototyping the files were changing constantly...so being able to change the file on the fly right in the shop and then cutting right away
was very important! I got pretty used to programming on the fly.
So she and her husband showed up, I took a scrap board, and on the fly made several cuts on the fly.
Swapping bits in the file,resize fonts/change fonts/change depths and pass depth...etc.
She had only one computer in an office at far end of house from the machine in garage.
On second visit she said about changing a file on the fly "I WISH I could do that!"
On third visit, she looked at her husband and said "I think we bought the wrong machine for Us...
running back and forth with a thumbdrive is a PITA!" and husband nodded in agreement.

Like I said, just a personal experience with an owner...and may be work arounds..
AND probably ticked off USB controlled machine owners... but just mentioning.
A LOT depends on people's work flows...but Love being able to modify files on the fly and cutting
again within minutes.

LOTS has changed in the 6 yrs since we narrowed our choices to Shopbot or Stinger1...
Our need to by 2 identical machines/bits/DC/etc. and size of shops made choice a Desktop.

Lots of good used machines being sold here...wonder if it's same over there?

The more information you give us, the better advice will be.
A fair of other Threads here with similar advice was needed...maybe check them out?

HOPE I didn't make too many people mad at me! :(
My Desktop is the only modern CNC other than running big iron P&W CNC milling machines in metal
30-40 yrs ago....so I'm biased towards the only machine I've ever owned:)

Hope any of this rambling helped....LOTS more machines and kits now!
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Post by CrowsWW »

Look at ShopSabre CNC they are really good and their support is awesome and is free for along as you have their machine.
https://www.shopsabre.com/
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!