Alternative to Expensive Amana Bit

MRobertson
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Alternative to Expensive Amana Bit

Post by MRobertson »

Hey all,

I want to get started doing deep inlays in cutting boards. Pretty much, every YouTube video I see they are using a 15 degree bit from Amana:

Amana Tool 45611-K Solid Carbide Spektra Extreme Tool Life Coated 15 Degree Engraving 0.005 Tip Width x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/4 Inch Long Signmaking Router Bit

I figure on breaking a few of these during the learning process and am not wanting to blow $36-37 each time.

Can you recommend a cheaper alternative?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Alternative to Expensive Amana Bit

Post by Leo »

Maybe we can help you with alternative PROCESS, rather than find an alternative bit.

Can you show us what you are trying to do?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

There are various offerings on eBay: 15 degree engraving bit. Some are under $2 per bit.

Seller drillman1, who is a well-trusted seller, has a Kyocera 15 degree bit for $10.40
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

MRobertson

Post by MRobertson »

Leo wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:16 pm
Maybe we can help you with alternative PROCESS, rather than find an alternative bit.

Can you show us what you are trying to do?
To give you an idea, go on YouTube and search for "Broinwood".

Here is a link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD9jdf ... iiIXqWlr0w

MRobertson

Post by MRobertson »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:31 pm
There are various offerings on eBay: 15 degree engraving bit. Some are under $2 per bit.

Seller drillman1, who is a well-trusted seller, has a Kyocera 15 degree bit for $10.40
All I'm finding on Ebay are 1/8" shank bits. The Amana bit referenced in my OP is 1/4".

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Yep

Well Randall has pointed out some good tooling alternatives for you. I have used Drillman1 and satisfied.

There is at least one really good detailed tutorial from Vectric on those inlays. I know that a few of the Vectric users here have made those inlays.

I do believe there are alternative tooling options to choose from. I don't think you need to use such a pointy bit. Perhaps a 45 degree or 60 degree bit will as well and be much stronger.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

MRobertson wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:49 pm
To give you an idea, go on YouTube and search for "Broinwood".
That "The biggest inlay We have ever made. 42*22 inch. Family wall sign. 4K video" that appears, currently, at the head of the channel has, deep in the comments, the following information:

"In this project, I have used... 30-degree v bit...."

So, perhaps you don't really need a 15 degree bit at all...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Confusion might be arising from the different way angles are specified on v-bits and engraving bits.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The angle of the bit has nothing to do with producing the effect geometrically speaking.

What it does have to do with is surface clean up passes. The smaller the bit angle the less the image will change if a clean up cut is taken over the entire surface. A 90 degree bit will work as long as very little is removed from the surface for clean up.

I have not had the time to work on this lately, but I attempted an inlay within an inlay on an end grain cutting board a while back. The first inlay went swimmingly. The second totally failed because of the "glue clearance" under the first inlay. I used a 15 degree bit. My thinking now is that it will be much easier to set a very small "glue clearance" by using a 45 or 60 degree bit. Could be wrong about that. . . .the piece is on the corner of my machine waiting for me to get a "round tuit". Decided to purchase a mini lathe so I have been researching that quite a bit, figuring out what tooling I will need to get, which of my existing tooling can be sold and then watching youtube videos on how to make these "lathe kits" work well after purchasing.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

MRobertson

Post by MRobertson »

Actually, the 15 deg v-bit worked very well in padauk. However, I should have been more concerned about the 1/8" bit, which fell on the concrete floor and broke in half. :x