Weak Stepper Motor

neverhappen
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick Gen 2

Weak Stepper Motor

Post by neverhappen »

I own a Axiom Precision 2X3 router, owned it since 2013, very few problems.
6 months ago, Doing a surface cut on a new project, 1.5 mill surface bit from Amanda Tools, running it at .03125 (never in a hurry) 100 IPM
Started in the middle of the board, (offset climb) step over .40% Board size 23 inches x 23 inches.
As the bit approached the far right side about 20 inches out, X Stepper decided it just couldn't keep up, made the turn on the "Y" axis short of the area it was supposed to. In other words, the "X" Origin reset to a different spot. It could not go all the way to the right side even by jogging. Had to reset the controller and re-home.
This has happen many times but not constantly
I replaced the ball screw, all the bearings, and also the stepper motor trying to come up a solution.
Last night when shutting things down, I went to put the head at the "home" position after a long 3D cut (which turn out perfectly) to write down the Origin numbers, Just a habit. X motor made it half way, and stopped moving grunted loudly (it's automatic so it kept trying to move to home). At that point the "Origin for the job I was doing was gone.
Suggestions welcome, as I just bought a new CNC and would like to sell this one for a few bucks, but would'd buy it if it doesn't work

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Weak Stepper Motor

Post by TReischl »

Well, things do wear out, which is why very few people are still driving around in Model T's or riding around on horses.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

neverhappen
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick Gen 2

Post by neverhappen »

Understood, that's why I replaced all the possibly worn out parts with new, read the post
I'm asking what else could it be??

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

My take is that the there is something binding on the X axis way bearings. The motor is being inhibited and the drive continues to output assuming that the motor is responding. I believe Axiom uses linear ways and it is possible that contamination has gotten past the wipers on the bearing blocks and randomly binds or there may be a ding on a way rail if the bind occurs in the same spot. I would disconnect the motor from the ball screw, or better yet, disconnect the ball nut from the X carriage and roll X axis by hand from side to side and see if it is running smooth. If it is running smooth then all I can think of otherwise is that the X stepper drive has issues; kind of a remote possibility though.
Ed

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

I ran into a similar problem on a Powermatic (same as Axiom) CNC that I was repairing, except it was the "Y" axis...the ball screw for the axis was causing the ball nut to bind because it wasn't adjusted properly and was causing the carriage to bind in one spot near the end of it's travel...this was on a new machine still under warranty.
Maybe over time the end of the ball screw has moved...it really doesn't take too much misalignment to cause a problem.