CNC recommendation

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

CNC recommendation

Post by tvannaman2000 »

I'm looking to upgrade my CNC machine and would like some recommendations.

I've had an Xcarve for the last 3+ years and am getting tired of it's quirks, it's been a good machine to learn on but want more.

My budget is in the $10k to $12k range and I don't want anything made in mainland China or anything I have to build myself. So far, I've been looking at Axiom and Veloxcnc machines. Machine size would be minimum 1000x1000mm but don't need anything over 4'x4'. Ability for future upgrade to rotary spindle and laser burning would be very nice.

Thanks!

Tim.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: CNC recommendation

Post by TReischl »

I would take a serious look at Avid. You have to put it together, mostly just nuts and bolts. They have a good plug and play electronics package and you can get it either in Nema 23 or 34.

I have been running basically their machine for about 8 years now and it has never failed me.

You might want to look up Frank Howarth on the YouTube and you will see some videos with his machine from a few years ago. He has modified it to do some pretty neat things.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I am just a hobbyist working out of a 2-car garage. About a year and a half ago I bought a Camaster Stinger 1 with a 25" X 37" table and it uses WinCNC for the controller. They make a lot of different sizes and all have an option for a built-in rotary on the right side of the table (recommended). Solid welded steel frame and built entirely in the U.S.A at their plant in Georgia. Computer and monitor is included along with Vectric V-Carve pro. If you already have software they will deduct the cost from the purchase. Tech support is pretty good too. I am very happy with it and having a lot of fun.

https://www.camaster.com/

My second choice would have been a Shopbot Desktop Max but if you are looking for a 4 X 4 table I'm not sure if they make one. Camaster does.
Steve

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by tvannaman2000 »

Wow Steve, that camaster might be just what I'm looking for. Just a tad above the budget so I'll do some research and it might be the one.

Thanks.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

My budget is in the $10k to $12k range
Look for used CAMaster or ShopBot machines.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

For sure stay away from asian produced junk.
Cam makes very good machines, been happy with mine going on a decade, very solid and reliable. Great support too including an active forum. I have made 1,000's of things, so far never so much as replaced a belt or gear.
Shopbot also well worth a look for comparison
Doug

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Post by CrowsWW »

Look at shop saber they are 100% American made steel frame I’ve had mine for over 10 years love it free tech-support for as long as you’re on the machine they have all kind of options

www.shopsabre.com
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!