Re First Cut Disaster

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Re First Cut Disaster

Post by Rik »

O.K. I get the position thing, lower left corner is the default. Regarding the Zero point. I looked at it as the start point of the script, meaning the machine will start at that point, then proceed to the first plunge whether a drilled hole or profile. Does it matter where I send the gantry after I set the surface Zero?. Is my assumption correct so far?.
About the tool path flyout for the first cut depth.
I see as first pass 0.032" deep and all following cut depths,0.032" deeper until it hits the max depth of 0.130", is this not correct?.
Or is it that, the first cut depth is 0.032" deep and then the second pass cuts through to the max depth of 0.130" meaning there is
only two passes to the whole cut job?. Please explain.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Re First Cut Disaster

Post by MarkJohnston »

I either use the left bottom corner or the center of the material for my X and Y position. I used the center a lot because it is easier for me to get the bit where I want it and the things being cut will line up centered. I Zero the Z on top of the material most of the time and do that when I set the X and Y location. So all three are set at the same time. I move the bit up off the wood an inch or so and then start the program running.

You can move the gantry off that set position and when you start the program it will return to the x and Y location.

As far as the number of passes on the depth it is determined on how much you allow the cutting depth when you setup each toolpath, a good rule of thumb is only plunge half the distance of the width of the bit for end mills.

You can adjust the number of passes as an override on the toolpath setup or edit the tool and change the pass depth there if you want.

The passes shown on the 2D profile toolpath determine how deep it will cut. Click on "edit passes" and it will show you exactly how deep it will cut.

I hope this makes some sense.

If you start watching the Vectric tutorial, even the 5 min tutorials things will come together much easier for you.

Mark

If you go to the Vectric.com and click on the "support" drop down you will see "tips & tricks Videos" it will take you to the 5 minute videos. Look through some of those to find a lot of great information.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The Introduction to CNC pages and PDF document are well worth a read as well to get some of the basic concepts nailed down - http://www.vectric.com/support/introduction-to-cnc.html

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

You really should've kept this in the original thread so people know what you're referring to...

Here's your gcode, tell me what you see it doing.

Code: Select all

( Profile 1 )
( Mach2/3 Postprocessor )
N20G00G20G17G20G90G40G49G80
N30G70
N40T2M06
N50G00G43Z0.7874H2
N60S12000M03
N70G94
N80X0.0000Y0.0000F100.0
N90G00X-2.1813Y-1.2093Z0.2362
N100G01Z-0.1300F30.0

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Frunple wrote:Here's your gcode, tell me what you see it doing.
If I could understand what the code is saying, I could well, you get the picture

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I just viewed the Vectric tutorial called "3 legged table" and would recommend you watch it. It goes into detail about setting up the toolpaths and will answer many of your questions better than we can.

To get to it go to Vectric.com and look in the training videos for that tutorial.

Mark

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Rik wrote:
Frunple wrote:Here's your gcode, tell me what you see it doing.
If I could understand what the code is saying, I could well, you get the picture
You have it set to cut full depth with one pass.

N90G00X-2.1813Y-1.2093Z0.2362 - go to X -2.1813 and Y - -1.2093 and Z .2363
N100G01Z-0.1300F30.0 go to Z -.13 directly... no other depth passes.

In your Toolpath, look at the Tool setting, click edit and you can set the pass depth.

Again though, you aren't saying how deep it actually cut. you should be able to cut .13 with the bit you have selected.
How deep did it actually go???

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

What I wanted was two passes, one at a depth of 0.032" and a second at 0.09". Although I noticed that my math was off how do I set it for two passes?.
Would the first cut be say 0.0625" and the second cut at 0.0625" totaling the material thickness?
Once I get this part straight I will make changes to the images and tool paths. Thanks

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Rik,

If you want some one on one help, PM me and I will try to walk you through what everyone is trying to say. If this is your first time, then trust me, you will make many mistakes at first and it will only get better from there. If you can't PM, then email me at bravesoul1950@gmail.com

Joe

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

the depth of cut is set in the tool data base for each tool but you can edit these figures on a per job basis. If you want to edit the max depth of cut, feed rate, spindle speed, plunge, etc etc then you can use the edit button on the toolpathing form
toolpath.JPG

If you are looking to alter the total number of passes or the depth of each pass then use the adjust passes form
toolpath2.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

martin54 wrote:the depth of cut is set in the tool data base for each tool but you can edit these figures on a per job basis. If you want to edit the max depth of cut, feed rate, spindle speed, plunge, etc etc then you can use the edit button on the toolpathing form
toolpath.JPG

If you are looking to alter the total number of passes or the depth of each pass then use the adjust passes form
toolpath2.JPG

Have you checked that everything is set up correctly in mach3 as I mentioned on your other thread ??

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

I had no idea that I could edit the tool parameters, good suggestion. I will do some experimentation very soon. Thanks to all. I will check in for further help.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Rik wrote:I had no idea that I could edit the tool parameters, good suggestion. I will do some experimentation very soon. Thanks to all. I will check in for further help.
Spend some time with the tutorials, most of what I have learned about using the software has come from there or this forum, most things (if not all) are covered by the tutorials, some things are covered multiple times as they are explained in more than one tutorial. The description for each tutorial gives a good indication of what is covered if you are looking for info on using a particular feature of the software.

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

That's what I should've done from the get go. I will look at them and learn. Thanks so much for all the comments and help.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Rather than just watch them it's a good idea to download the attached files for each tutorial & follow along with it. That way it is easy to figure out where you have gone wrong if you happen to because you already know what the outcome should be :lol: :lol: :lol:
Working your way through then will answer a lot of questions you may have & also give you a good grounding as you move forward.