Unboxing of desktop CNC from MIB instruments China

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HAAS

Unboxing of desktop CNC from MIB instruments China

Post by aironeous »

I will post 5 pictures at a time so that I don't end up with a massive post that only one mistake will wipe out and also to avoid those people that will purposely quote a large post with many pictures and then just make one little comment and it ends up taking the whole page up.

Received yesterday via DHL.
Written in marker on the box in the upper right underneath the strap is 110v.
13030009.jpg
So far so good.
13030011.jpg
Looks well packed so far
13030012.jpg
Still looks well packed
13030013.jpg
Still
13030014.jpg
Last edited by aironeous on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Unboxing of desktop CNC from MIB instruments China

Post by aironeous »

Starting to see the separate parts now. I'm taking lots of pictures so you guys can see how they packaged it.
13030015.jpg
13030016.jpg
Front of the control box. The middle of the Estop button is not white that is the camera flash, sorry about that. I'm too lazy to retake the picture.
13030017.jpg
Bottom of the control box. Let us speculate on the reason behind sealing the screws. Maybe to keep them from vibrating during shipment or operation?
13030018.jpg
Back of the control box. 220v is mistakenly marked according to the seller when shown this picture via email.
13030019.jpg

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Have a look inside the box, there is usually a 240/110 switch. Check what it is set to.
Better safe than sorry.
I got a machine from the States that was supposed to be 240V but wasn't.
It became known as Smoky Joe :roll:

Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

This instruction has me worried that maybe when I use a smooth stepper I will be technically not following this instruction. Also I do not know/see the purpose of plugging a usb into this unless it is only to follow the instruction. I will comply but I will do so with the smooth stepper in between the pc and control box. I don't really have a choice because who has a 25 pin printer port on their computer these days? I have a 9 pin on my laptop but not a 25pin.
13030020.jpg
This is the USB smooth stepper I will be using.
13030061.jpg
It is not an MIB product, it is sold by cnc4pc. Here is the link and explanation of why you should this.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=185

I will be using this ribbon
http://www.pmdx.com/DB25ribbon
to connect the smooth stepper to the male male db 25 cable that MIB has provided and then that cable will connect to the back of the control box.
So it goes Computer usb chord>smooth stepper>pmdx ribbon>male male db25 mib cable>control box

The back of the control box has a protective film on it. So does the front and the hand controller.
13030022.jpg
The control box has a fan. That's good.
13030025.jpg
13030026.jpg

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

The hand cotroller is in its own box. You can see the protective film on the wheel and you can tell by the color there is one also on the screen.
13030027.jpg
Here is where it connects to the control box. After connecting it I stretched it out almost all the way to see if it would move the control box (no it did not) and how long it stretched (a little over 6 feet). I will see later if this is long enough so that I can walk around to the back of the machine while using it. It probably means I will have to get a small table or find a way to change the cord length but I'll find out later when I do the setup.
13030028.jpg
13030029.jpg
The included cords in a separate box. Notice the power cord is not a 220 cord but a 110 cord.
13030030.jpg
The DB25 is a male-male
13030031.jpg
Last edited by aironeous on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

@Wolffie
The control box is sealed. If I open it I think it would void the warranty. I requested a 110. The power cord is a 110 cord. The box said 110 and the seller says it is 110 so I'm just going to plug it in to 110.

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Included mini usb cord.
13030035.jpg
You can see the 2 engraver bits covered in a protective rubber. The third one down was shoved into a piece of foam to protect it. I pulled it out for this photo.
13030036.jpg
These are metric and I don't use metric. But it is nice to have them included and to see they protected them. It looks like 2 table clamps are included.
13030042.jpg
I shoved the little endmill back in the foam as it was before the previous pick. What are those? Guess I'll find out soon.
13030044.jpg
One box left.
13030045.jpg

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

The vice is steel by the weight of it.
13030046.jpg
Back of connectors
13030047.jpg
Front of connectors
13030049.jpg
After pulling it out of the box I can tell by the weight that there is a lot of steel in it. I like that.
To give you an idea of the size of the machine I put a coffee can and egg next to it.
13030051.jpg
The t-slotted table is made of 3 pieces.
13030052.jpg
I see something on the left in the t-slot on the table.

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Time for a close up.
13030053.jpg
It's a stray screw. I hope this is not a problem.

It could be related to a note I found in the paperwork - this one (why can I not get this picture to rotate?)
13030067.jpg
I'm not sure what this means because the Z tow chain looks fine to me. Does it just mean that It will need adjustment? I guess I'll find out later when I do the setup.

Z
13030054.jpg
X
13030055.jpg
X and Z ballscrews
13030056.jpg

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Spindle
13030057.jpg
Is that a backlash nut on the X? Because that is what it looks like. If it is, that is a nice/needed feature :D
13030058.jpg
Duty unpaid. Does this mean that I am going to get a bill for a duty payment later because I have not paid duty yet?
13030062.jpg
Hook up instructions say I have to use the same power connection for the laptop as the CNC. I will comply but I have a feeling this is put here to prevent for example the CNC still has power but the PC has been shut off or vice versa.
13030065.jpg
All the connections in this house are grounded including the garage ones where I will be putting this machine.

Certificate of conformity
13030066.jpg

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

Next up: SET UP

Still left to do
1) Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a small table or tables to put the CNC on and my Dell D630
2) Get a key from the landlord for the garage
3) The PMDX ribbon is still in the mail and is not here yet. This means I cannot yet connect the smooth stepper to the DB25 male-male cord and then that to the control box.
4) Where will I put the smooth stepper? Should I just buy a cheap plastic box and cut a hole in it and place it on top of the control box?
5) Buy a shop vaccuum
6) Maybe buy extra lighting for the garage or just use my tall black lamp.
7) Where will I put the Dell computer in relation to the CNC? Maybe I have to buy another desk to go next to it.
8 Setup mach3 to work with the smooth stepper and then follow the MIB instructions for mach 3 setup except I will not use metric I will use inches like most of the people I know.
9) Take pictures of everything while I am doing it.

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

on your controller box, I'm wondering if instead of putting an X or check mark on the 110V to indicate that is what it is, that it was a failed attempt to black out the 220V option.
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

MikeUSNRet wrote:on your controller box, I'm wondering if instead of putting an X or check mark on the 110V to indicate that is what it is, that it was a failed attempt to black out the 220V option.
Exactly what I was thinking and that is what I emailed to the seller and said the same thing you did to properly use the box with a checkmark or x.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Those are spare brushes for the motor
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aironeous »

@wolfie thanks.

SETUP:
I went to Lowes and bought a 5 tier storage shelf and just assembled it horizontally instead of vertically. When I get my next paycheck I will replace the cheap particle board shelves with a hardwood. I bought a shop vacuum and vacuumed the garage out, and placed the shelving on the east side of the garage. The landlord is replacing all the windows in the house today so I was woken up early with a hangover by the crew because they wanted to do my windows first.

I assembled the shelving, vacuumed out the garage and pulled the CNC and all of its items and my laptop and stuck it in the garage. Now I will proceed to hook it all up.

The cables are labeled x y and z except for these 2. I cannot read Chinese.
13030072.jpg
But since they have different amounts of pins I can just look at the control box connections to figure out which is which.
13030073.jpg
13030076.jpg
Everything is now connected to the back of the control box.
13030077.jpg
I turned it on. A feeling of dread overcame me when nothing responded to the hand wheel until I realized the E stop was pushed in. :oops:
13030080.jpg