Shark Mako 0,0,0 problems

jcv1114
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Mako

Shark Mako 0,0,0 problems

Post by jcv1114 »

Merry Christmas.

I recently purchased a Shark Mako, I have been playing with it for a few weeks with great success. A few days ago out of the blue it decided to only router about .02-.03" deep into the wood even though it was programmed to router .25" dp. When I would tell it to "go to 0,0,0" it would go to X0, Y0, but would be Z+.25, +.375. In some cases it routers above the board and does not even touch the board.

I spent all Friday afternoon on the phone with Jim at Next Wave and I have stumped him also. Jim sent me a couple of files and I tried running those with no success. The router is tight in the collar, the bit is tight in the router, the set collar for the Z axis is tight, we tried going back to the last version of control panel with no success. We swapped the Z board with the Y board in the controller and the Z axis did the same thing. I tried making something in mm then using the mm post processing file tried to make something and the same thing occured. This tells me the PP file is not the problem.

I think it is time to swap out the control box. I will be calling them tomorrow to see if they will acommodate. If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate aany help that can be given.

Also, thank you Larry Gardner for your ssuggestions.

651-303-4056

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Re: Shark Mako 0,0,0 problems

Post by esteeme1 »

Hi Larry,

Have you tried to reload your driver?
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

Jim,

I just downloaded and replaced the drivers again and the same result. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Jerry

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Can you post a copy of the parts you are making with the toolpaths. Maybe someone will be able to see what your settings are and be of more help.

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

If I did this right there should be a file attached. This file is one that originally worked out fine, then once things went South it is doing the same thing as the rest of the files.

Jerry
651-303-4056
Attachments
Grandmas kitchen sign.crv
(981 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Hello Jerry,
I am not sure what you have got going here. Here are my thoughts.
In all of your tool paths you have a different start cut depth specified for each tool.
I set the start tool depth to 0.000 for all of them.
I tried to maintain the depths you had set except for Grandma's Goodies. I just
left the tool determine the final depth. You can set the flat bottom depth to whatever you would like.
I also notice the .250 Profile cut was set to "on" the line and only cutting .180 deep.
I'm not sure if that was for decoration or not.
I looked at your material setup to find your material specified is .750 thick.
I changed the profile to cut .180" deep on the line with a .175" depth of cut on my tool,
using a spiral ramp so it will cut .175" and then a .005" cut cleanup for a finish.
Then I made another Outside contour cut on the outside of your line. It is cutting .755 Deep.
Be careful with this because it is cutting all the way through your board + .005 more.
I renamed all the toolpaths I made with numbers at the end.
Outside contour 3 is the one that cuts all the way through.
Remember to set all the feed and speed rates to something suitable to your machine.
Grandmas kitchen sign.crv3d
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 139 times

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

Thank you, I will give this a try this morning.

Jerry
651-303-4056

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

good morning I tried to open the .crv3D file but could not. I have Vcarvepro 6.5, how do I open the 3D file?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Jerry

651-303-4056

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

I was not able to open your file, but I went back to my original file and set the start depth to 0.0. When I ran the text in the file the first "G" seemed to come out to the correct depth but then the rest of the text was very shallow. Also the eating part of thee spoon went to the correct depth but the handle and the fork were hardly noticible on the wood surface and when returned to 0,0,0 the Z was approx .25 above the wood surface.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Jerry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like your Z is losing steps somewhere so where it thinks it is really isn't.

Go over your machine very carefully and make sure there is absolutely nothing loose or binding on the Z. If you can't find anything try slowing the feed and plunge rates down in case you're pushing the machine too hard and that's causing issues.

CwoDawg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Mako

Post by CwoDawg »

I had a similar problem. There was a deeper part of my carving that was bottoming out on the Z axis and resetting Z by a 1/16 of an inch or more. So the first part would carve fine, but after trying to carve the deeper section everything else was shallow. I lowered the router in the mount and solved the problem.

Make sure you are not close to the bottom limit of the Z axis.

Mark

jcv1114

Post by jcv1114 »

First, I would like to say "Thank You" to all of you that offered suggestions to my problem. Turns out the other day I ran the router bit vertical down on one of my aluminum clamps, when this happened it moved the router up. It was bottoming out in the Z position and loosing the zero position. Solution, I lowered the router about 1.5" and everything is great. Again, operator error.

Thanks everyone and have a Merry Christmas.

Jerry