Big Changes Coming

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Big Changes Coming

Post by TReischl »

It is not my fault! Ok, got that out of the way.

A few weeks ago started having computer issues. Namely not being able to config motors in Mach 3 using Windows 11. Sooo, I decided to switch over to UCCNC and a EC400ETH. That was going along well, and then, the Gecko 540 died unexpectedly. It was only 14 years old. Well, one thing led to another and I started looking at a new machine. My old machine is rugged. Heavy duty 8020 construction, CNCRouterParts (now Avid) components. No wimp of a machine.

I am not getting any younger, and since I have built all the furniture I will ever need, I do not need a 4 X 3 machine. Would love to reclaim some floor space in the shop. Eventually found my way to OneFinity. Turns out I can even mount the machine on a wall. I am thinking I will put it at a 60 degree angle, maybe 45, have to fiddle with that a bit. Or be able to do it both ways.

So now I have to figure out what to do with the old machine. Sure as heck cannot ship it anywhere, well at least not the main components. I hate to part it out on eBay. If there is anyone within a reasonable distance of Eastern North Carolina wanting a sturdy machine, lemme know!

I just ordered the OneFinity Elite Woodworker. It is a 32 X 32 machine with a Masso control. Really looking forward to that control.

Boy, do I have a ton of work to do! So off I go!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Re: Big Changes Coming

Post by TReischl »

Just cancelled the OneFinity order. :(

Yesterday I contacted OneFinity and asked for the bolt hole pattern layout for the spindle mount. The reason is that I like using standard off the shelf routers like the Bosch. Turns out there is no bolt hole pattern. And no way to attach your own spindle mount.

The spindle mount is an integral part of the Z axis slide. In addition to clamping the spindle, it has the bearings for the Z axis built in.

There are some advantages to doing it the way they are. By boring the spindle mount and bearings in one go it pretty guarantees they will be parallel with each other. A good thing.

What is not good is that they only offer two options: A 65mm or 80mm mount. The 65mm supports off the shelf palm routers like the Makita. The problem with that is the max tool shank is .25 inch. I could purchase an 80mm spindle, but then I also need a VFD and more than likely water cooling. That adds up to north of $300. I can buy a Bosch 1617 with speed control for $150. If it breaks, I can get another one at the big box store the same day. The last one I had was a Porter Cable which ran for 12 years with some pretty heavy usage.

It surprises me that they do not make a 3.5 inch motor mount for their machine. Does not sound like a good marketing decision.

Anyway, I took my existing machine completely apart in anticipation of selling it. Cleaned it all up and then put the mechanical components back together. One of the issues with the machine is that over the years I added things to the machine, and it was starting to become a bit of a FrankenMachine.
20240307_081004.jpg
The plan is that I am going to design the addons into the machine, do better cable management, etc. I am in no hurry, no big projects looming on the horizon. The new machine was going to be smaller, giving me some additional floor space. I am not sure if I want to cut this machine down at all. Right now it is a 990mm X 1295mm X 178mm machine (3' X 4' X 7").

While I am at it the machine is getting the UCC control. If I am not happy with that I am going to give the Masso Touch screen a go. It was one of the things I really liked about the OneFinity Elite series.

Off I go!

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Not a set back - just an evolution.
Maker of sawdust

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Thanks for posting your journal of your journey so i can watch...

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Things are coming along nicely on the refurbishing. I will try to get some pics tomorrow of the progress.

Been doing a lot of simple milling work. Making brackets out of 3X3 X 1/4 aluminum angle I picked up at the scrap yard a few years ago. The proximity switches came in so I have them all mounted. Ran a bunch of wiring, but no connections yet. New Gecko G540 came in too.

When I first built this machine I was in a hurry to get it running so I took all sorts of shortcuts, resulting in a bit of Frankenstein influence. This time I am take my time. Dug through all the electronic stuff I have, found a lot of pieces I need to build a better control box. Creating a control box with a Gecko G540 is actually pretty simple compared to using individual stepper drivers. The big new thing will be wiring the proximity switches. For any one axis they need to be in series since they are normally closed. I am a little concerned because one of the YouTube types claims that NC switches will not work with the G540. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the G540 and everything to do with the software feeding the G540. We shall see. IIRC before I tore the machine apart the lever switches were all normally closed.

Tomorrow I will be 3D printing a mount for the microscope. I may dig around in my scrap bin and see if I have a chunk of aluminum suitable to build the mount out of that. Speaking of 3D printers. . . . I have been looking at the Bambu Carbon X-1. Looks like one heckuva printer. Got a lot on my plate right now though, soooooo. . . .

Oh, discovered another good use for the laser! It is an excellent tool for prototyping a control panel layout. This morning I cut an opening for one of those snap in switches. It worked perfectly.

Ok, enough blabbing for one evening.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

TReischl wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am
Tomorrow I will be 3D printing a mount for the microscope. I may dig around in my scrap bin and see if I have a chunk of aluminum suitable to build the mount out of that. Speaking of 3D printers. . . . I have been looking at the Bambu Carbon X-1. Looks like one heckuva printer. Got a lot on my plate right now though, soooooo. . . .
In October I cancelled my order for a Prusa XL 5 head. I was tired of being jerked around. I bought a Bambu X1 Carbon and have put at least 1,200 hours on it since. It's the best printer I've ever had. I put in filament, it analyzes it, and out comes a perfect print. The parts cost is quite reasonable. You wouldn't be disapointed.

ASA Cup Holder for Truck.jpg
Bit Storage - Gridfinity.jpg
Collet Racks.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

gkas wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:29 pm
TReischl wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am
In October I cancelled my order for a Prusa XL 5 head. I was tired of being jerked around. I bought a Bambu X1 Carbon and have put at least 1,200 hours on it since. It's the best printer I've ever had. I put in filament, it analyzes it, and out comes a perfect print. The parts cost is quite reasonable. You wouldn't be disapointed.

ASA Cup Holder for Truck.jpg
Bit Storage - Gridfinity.jpg
Collet Racks.jpg
Mr GK. . . I bought that Bambu X1 Carbon. . . WOW! 3D printing has actually become fun again. Printed an adapter out of ABS for the router so I can mount a small laser I have in place of the router. I do that sometimes to do layout work, rather than cutting. It was flat out easy peasy.

I just started it out on a 10 hour print making a bunch of small boxes with sliding lids to store small end mills. My wife loved her easter rabbit.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

You might take a look at Orca Slicer. It's also a fork of Bambu. It is usually a step ahead of Bambu Studio, and I like Bambu Studio a lot. One of the nice features is the 'Measure' function, which Studio does not yet have. I use Aspire to sketch of a lot of drawings that I just want to simply extrude.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are you still going to mount it on the wall Ted? Looking forward to seeing more of your creations once it's back up & running :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Looking Good Ted.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

martin54 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:46 pm
Are you still going to mount it on the wall Ted? Looking forward to seeing more of your creations once it's back up & running :lol: :lol:
Nah Martin, I got an overwhelming attack of laziness and decided to leave it on the table it has always been on. Did a lot of revamping relative to heights. I had a removable 100mm sub table so that I could do much thicker work and larger rotary pieces. Don't do that anymore, so I got rid of it. Doing that has increased the rigidity somewhat.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Leo. I have not been doing much routing lately. More focused on the 3D printer and getting proficient using it. Also the laser. These are both very new pieces of equipment for me. There is this idea swimming around in my brain about utilizing all of these technologies in creating highly detailed small boxes. I have already successfully inlaid both wood and printed parts. Used the laser to rout the pockets. I was surprised at how accurate the laser is including depth of cut.

Right now though I am making valances for the windows in this house. 3D printing brackets. My better half wants a very clean look, no curtains. We have remote controlled shades which is very cool.