VFD Error Codes

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Re: VFD Error Codes

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys,

It looks as though my error code scenario has finished. Having double-checked all of my wiring and not being able to find anything that would suggest a problem connection or soldering issue, all wires were and are connected properly to the correct terminals.
Now, because I'm neither an Electrical Engineer nor Electrician, so, I'm unable to test the actual motor in the spindle or the internal pc boards in the VFD.
Even with my lack of electrical knowledge, I was still thinking of either the spindle or VFD, I did several tests running the spindle just cutting air and it worked well at low, mid, and high rpm speeds without error codes showing up, which put my mind more towards the VFD, one of my friends also said that he thought the VFD was the problem.
I did everything except a factory reset, as I thought I would lose everything and end up with a plastic box full of electrical junk, but, I bit the bullet and hit the factory reset, then re-entered my original list of parameters, with some of them in a certain order.
Hey presto, No more error codes. Thank You, God.
Afterward, I ran continuous tests for around forty minutes to an hour, and no error codes.
All of this tells me, my CNC build and wiring, and parameters were correct, and it seems that the VFD either was set up incorrectly at the place of purchase, or it just had a glitch and the reboot cleared it, just like when you reboot a computer.

Thank you, to Everyone that gave input in my quest to resolve the error code dilemma

Kind regards,

Wannabe.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi Wannabe,

Nothing in your controls reveals a clear fault.

Measuring the current was a good idea. I didn't ask for it because it may be dangerous if you don't have the proper equipment.

You wrote:
"At 10,000 RPM the current draw was 2.5, 2.6, 2.7."
But after that, you only give 2 values by speed range. Did you note the 3 values, in the same order (UVW).

If the values are not balanced, it's something you can report to your provider.

Trying to measure theses values in the conditions where you have the default could give some information.

Did you check all the security preset values in the VFD? Can you provide a link to the VFD documentation?

What is the output voltage of the VFD?

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Thank you, for your reply.
I mentioned the values for UVW and RST, they all read the same. I tested the VFD with the power off, I wasn't too confident to try it with the power on. The power here is 220V.
The tests that I ran, were at 10,000 - 15,000 - 18,000 and 24,000 RPM while the spindle was cutting air and not under any working pressure. During the air-cutting speed tests, I didn't get any error codes.
Even though I ran various tests, I still didn't find the exact fault. I can't go to the provider as they are no longer available, I bought the VFD and spindle back in 2020, but didn't get to build my CNC until last year due to being out of action after two lower back ops.
But, as I mentioned in my last message, the factory reset cleared whatever issue that was causing the error codes to come up, so, I'm guessing the place that I bought the VFD and spindle from set one or more parameters that were not correct, or it was just a glitch in its system and the reset fixed it, just in the same way it does sometimes when you reboot a computer that has an issue that can't be explained.
If you can provide an email address in a private message on here, I can send you a document of the VFD manual, then you can see all the details.

Thank you
Kind regards,

Wannabe

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I obviously missed that message.

Happy to see that you've solved your problem.

Enjoy your CNC!

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Thank you for all of your input.

Kind regards,

Wannabe