SSD Failure

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440 with 4th axis, Taig CNC Mill

SSD Failure

Post by TSM2018 »

My SSD is intermittently not readable; I've backed up specific files, and did another redundant backup of c:\
I'm using Windows 10. My computer is probably 5-6 years old... I took the lid off, and there was hardly no dust inside the small desktop case so was pleased that it wasn't a dust issue; I've never had a reason to look at he innards before.

I have Aspire on my desktop at home and my laptop when I'm mobile and participating in classes or user groups, but don't think it is fair that I have to use my last install for my SSD failure. What are my options please?

My plan was to clone my harddrive and move everything to the new hard-drive; and will purchase one this weekend, if this lasts long enough. I think I only have enough room in this computer for a SSD.

Thanks -

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: SSD Failure

Post by Rcnewcomb »

but don't think it is fair that I have to use my last install for my SSD failure. What are my options please?
Install Aspire on the new system. You can have it on 3 different computers. There isn't an installation-counter.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

SSD's have a limited number of read/write cycles available so they have a finite life. There should be software that came with the PC or drive to show how much life is left. 6 years is a bit shorter than average but it depends on how you use it.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440 with 4th axis, Taig CNC Mill

Post by TSM2018 »

Thank you for the replies, I will work on replacing my SSD upon receipt of new drive. I did not realize at the time of purchase that SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles - and don't recall this in the fine print from Dell Computer. My desktop is used daily.... I will have to check my laptop's hardware too.

RJ, I do not like subscriptions and counters; and in the last 36 hours two of us at work have wasted 3 hours 25 minutes trying to update Intuit's QBs Desktop Pro payroll subscription.... so this experience is clouding my perspective with software. I do really appreciate my Vectric Aspire software and specifically appreciate it is a lifetime supported purchase.

Aspire is used for 'playtime' !