Combing fluting and moulding toolpath

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
sriceky
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Combing fluting and moulding toolpath

Post by sriceky »

I am trying to create a path that can be described as a combination of a fluting and a moulding toolpath. The cross section on the toolpath is a "U" and I can easily create a moulding toolpath that gives the desired shape. Where I am struggling is that I would like the "U" to go deeper into the workpiece as it travels. I'm just looking for a simple linear taper that the fluting toolpath can deliver. I am using VCarve Pro (11.5) and I am hoping that this is something I can do with this package.

Thanks
Steve

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Combing fluting and moulding toolpath

Post by tomgardiner »

I don't think you can get a turnkey solution with V Carve. I think this would be a piece of cake for Aspire.
You have a couple of options in my opinion. You could import a 3d file created with a different software.
You can use the fluting toolpath but you will be making multiple toolpaths using a cross section of the desired trough to determine the varying depth of cut across the cross section. Deepest in the centre of the trough and shallow at the sides.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Combing fluting and moulding toolpath

Post by adze_cnc »

With the appropriate jig you could pre-slope the material so that the fluting toolpath is not needed.