Fuzzy Carving

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
dopauls
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve Pro

Fuzzy Carving

Post by dopauls »

Good evening. I am just getting started with 3D carving using VCarve Desktop and an Inventables XCarve Pro machine.

In my first carving attempt, I used a 1/4" end mill for the roughing pass and an 1/8" ball nose bit for the finish pass. Not too bad, but I wanted a little better definition at the base of the rhino. The wood was basswood.
Better Rhino.jpg
In the second attempt, I used a 1/8" ball nose bit as a roughing bit, with a 1/4" 60 degree Vbit as the finish pass. I got better definition at the base of the rhino, but it left a lot of fuzzy wood.
Fuzzy Rhino.jpg
So, is this fuzziness due to the 60 degree V Carve bit or a legacy of basswood that I would not see on a harder wood. I can remove the fuzz with some gentle sanding, but would prefer to not have to. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

Doug

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Re: Fuzzy Carving

Post by RickW3DS »

0.250 end mill for roughing and use a really small ball nose for the finish. Basswood is soft so it's going to be fuzzy. Try some MDF for practice if you have good dust collection.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

What was your step over for the finish pass with the .125 BN. I personally would never use a v bit on a finish tool path.
Scott T

@scottscnc

dopauls
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve Pro

Post by dopauls »

The stepover was 0.005 inch or 2%.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Softwoods just plain old get the fuzzies - period.

I am working on some MDF right now and it gets something like fuzzies as well.

I did the 3D carving just like you did, but then I sprayed it down (soaked it) with rattle can Shellac.
Let dry really good and go over the carving again.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC