wine barrel staves

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Bill Cooley
Model of CNC Machine: shopsaber pro

wine barrel staves

Post by Bill Cooley »

Anybody know haw to vcarve on a bowed surface such as a barrel stave?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: wine barrel staves

Post by adze_cnc »

If by “VCarve on” you mean using the “V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath” then applying that toolpath to any non-flat surface will require you to model that surface as a 3D object then use the “project to 3D” option within the toolpath.

There was a recent (within the last x months) on a similar theme. Do an advanced search for barrel and my user name.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Here's the one I did. I cut fifteen oak strips to a width of 2" and beveled each side 11.7° on the table saw. Although I have a very large 4-Axis rotary that cut the bevel 1/4" on each end leaving 3/4" in the Center after I glued it up, the bevel could be done milling it flat on the table, then cutting the individual strips.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30422&p=219528&hil ... 83#p219528

Gary

sscooter
Model of CNC Machine: CamMaster Stinger II SR44

Post by sscooter »

I had a job to make 200 flight boards out of actual barrel staves, bung hole in all of them. I use Aspire not V-carve. Since all of the staves were slightly different, I made a model of a "perfect" barrel stave, just the top, using the 2 rail sweep function. Next clamped the staves in a jig to index each stave, and carved a 3d "perfect" barrel stave in each one. By making a model first I could now cut or pocket them in any fashion my customer wanted. They choose 100 laser etched and 100 with walnut inlay$. I might suggest you import a shape from the included clip art with V-Carve Pro that is close to what you need and sculpt it to the final shape you need. Maybe you could use the fluting tool path to carve out the barrel stave shape. Next use a bandsaw to cut out the bottom of the barrel stave. If you start with real staves then wire brush off the loose char first and seal it with several coats of polyurethane. The key to this is having a model of your bowed surface and following adze_cnc advice and use the “project to 3D” option within the toolpath.
C. Andries AKA sscooter
Aspire 11 Laser Module
SR44 Servos, 1.7Kw Spindle, Phenolic Top, WinCnC

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Too bad we couldn't preserve that char smell somehow
Yep, kinda sure I had ADHD before it was invented