Four sided project

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
cooperkb@tpg.com.au
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity woodworker

Four sided project

Post by cooperkb@tpg.com.au »

Had a bit of time to play around and went back to the 4 sided Vectric project St Hugh and thought I would see how it goes - just downloaded Vectric 's files and basically changed nothing except for the finishing bit - I used a 1.6mm Ball Nose 3.175mm shank .
Front and back were finished great but when I did a side I have a problem with the bit cutting into the face of the finished front side and ruining it.
Have had this problem before so gave up on 4 sided work and one reason why I wanted to try again.
Anyone have any tips, suggestions on how to avoid this.
Thanks
Kerry

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Four sided project

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Kerry,
Without further information, I'd say you had a Z0 issue.
Did you take pictures of the problem?
If not, try again with a cheap piace of wood and take pictures along the process.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I remember the project but that's about all, why did you change the finishing bit? It may be that you also need to change some of the settings for the bit like the allowance offset, does the project z zero from the machine bed? How are you preparing your material stock? It may also be that your stock material isn't as square as it could be.
As has been said already it could be a simple z zero issue :lol: :lol:

Another quick thought, how is the tram on your spindle/router? If the spindle/router is not sitting at 90 degrees to your table then this could also have an effect :lol: :lol:

cooperkb@tpg.com.au
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity woodworker

Post by cooperkb@tpg.com.au »

Thanks for the replies and I think it is an error in the Z position and will have another go and see how it goes - also I changed the bit as it was the one I had but did change the settings for it as well so don't see how it might affect it - think I will put it down to trial and error and hopefully do it right next time