VERY Slow CNC

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Deryl B
Model of CNC Machine: Long Mill MK2

VERY Slow CNC

Post by Deryl B »

Just wondering if anyone knows why my CNC is going slow. Like "not" moving slow! It was working fine for past carves. Any thoughts?

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: VERY Slow CNC

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Deryl, you would probably get better info on the Sienci forum. I'm purty sure they make the Longmill machine.

https://forum.sienci.com/
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The usual reason for that from the Vectric side of things is that you have the wrong feed rate for the tool being used. People set a value but the drop down that defines the unit is different to what they think it is.

All depends on at what stage it's moving slowly as to whether it's the Vectric end, the control software end or a physical machine issue.

FabLab Wageningen
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee 1500x1500

Post by FabLab Wageningen »

You may want to print out a part of the Gcode that was generated for a 'slow' project. Check the first G1 (*) move (that is your first 'real' cutting move) and what the feed rate is for that move (the Fnnnn.n parameter, usually at the end of the line) - then see if that rate is changing somewhere.

Example:
G1X80.000Y40.000Z-1.500F400.0 (F is the feed rate here; the actual speed of the CNC over the material )
As I do not know whether you work in imperial or metric it is hard to advice proper feed rates. F is either inch or mm per minute.

Marcel.

(*) or G2 or G3 if you first move is circular - G0 are only rapid moves between cuts so don't count here

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Deryl B wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:55 am
Just wondering if anyone knows why my CNC is going slow. Like "not" moving slow! It was working fine for past carves. Any thoughts?
I am not sure I understand what your issue is. Your Longmill CNC is going slow, but "not" moving slow? I just don't know what that means. Could you elaborate a bit more please? Your past carves were fine as in doing what? Also, be careful which post processor (pp) you are selecting. My machine has both inches and mm for the pp. I do all my Vcarve work in inches. But I MUST use the mm pp because that is what my controller is set for.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

A Bit of Humor!
I do all my Vcarve work in inches. But I MUST use the mm pp because that is what my controller is set for.
I could just imagine what the end result would be if a task was given to "The Three Stooges" or even "The Marx Brothers" using the above quote for a project.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

AboveCreations wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:27 pm
Deryl B wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:55 am
I am not sure I understand what your issue is. Your Longmill CNC is going slow, but "not" moving slow? I just don't know what that means. Could you elaborate a bit more please? Your past carves were fine as in doing what? Also, be careful which post processor (pp) you are selecting. My machine has both inches and mm for the pp. I do all my Vcarve work in inches. But I MUST use the mm pp because that is what my controller is set for.
My guess would be that it rapids OK but when cutting a file it is very slow, but that's a guess as there isn't enough detail in the original post :lol: :lol: If it is feed/plunge related then it could be something as simple as mixing up inches per minute & mm per minute as Adrian has already mentioned or having a slow plunge rate set on a spiral ramp.

Can you post a file that isn't copyright protected so people can have a look, that would be the easiest way to eliminate certain things that could be causing the problem :lol: :lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm
A Bit of Humor!
I do all my Vcarve work in inches. But I MUST use the mm pp because that is what my controller is set for.
I could just imagine what the end result would be if a task was given to "The Three Stooges" or even "The Marx Brothers" using the above quote for a project.

Sharkcutup
I know I am old and sometimes slow, but I fail to see any humour in that...