Veteran Plaque Finishing

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Veteran Plaque Finishing

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Veteran_7181.jpg
I’m looking for ideas on finishing the background on this item. Customer wants the gold letters. I’m using the wax paint in a tube (Rub-N-Buf).

They want a smallish frame around a baltic birch ½“ plywood base. I’m using a dark almost black 1” frame with about ⅛” lip.

So, that leaves quite a bit of real estate to finish before vcarving those letters. I’m afraid my original dark brownish stain is going to look strange. I’m even considering paint!

I’m needing to finish this for a presentation right after Thanksgiving which is about a week away.

Anyone see some easy way to highlight this background to honor this Vietnam vet? It goes over a wall of photos of his family and friends that also served.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Re: Veteran Plaque Finishing

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

110 views; no ideas? :shock: {Bump}

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:44 pm
110 views; no ideas? :shock: {Bump}
[/quote

I looked but didn't comment because finishing is not really one of my strengths. Have you checked the finishing guides in some of Michael Tylers projects of the month? Michael always gives tips on the finishing techniques he uses with the free projects :lol: :lol:

To be honest I probably would have used a piece of hardwood for the actual background so I didn't have to worry about staining :oops:

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Paint, stain, dye. There are so many possibilities that it is impossible to make a "best " recommendation. If you are looking for something that will stand out, there are many wood dye options. Myself, I play with scraps until I get a result I like.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Black and gold really do look good together. Since you are thinking of a black frame how about a black field too?

A student did a text-based project where he coated the plywood with 1 or 2 layers of black gesso then 10 layers of black spray paint. It was a deeper black than the image shows.

black.jpg

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

If you want to go with the Gold lettering, sherwin-williams makes a gold paint that looks more of a gold leaf. It is espensive, but nice. At the time I got it it was about $38 a pint.(about 7 years ago)

Bob

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:03 pm
A student did a text-based project where he coated the plywood with 1 or 2 layers of black gesso then 10 layers of black spray paint. It was a deeper black than the image shows.
Great idea! I was thinking of a dark brown, but I’m sure I’d never get it right. It just always looks matte on plywood.

I was just now thinking, I could find that paint that is “infinitely” black.

I certainly will make a test strip to check out the possibilities. And the reason for using the plywood is client based. They had something warp in the past. I had a piece of walnut selected.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Bob Reda wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:39 pm
If you want to go with the Gold lettering, sherwin-williams makes a gold paint that looks more of a gold leaf.
I’ll look for that paint, Bob. The Rub-N-Buf stuff never really looks gold. Thanks!

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:03 pm
Black and gold really do look good together. Since you are thinking of a black frame how about a black field too? A student did a text-based project where he coated the plywood with 1 or 2 layers of black gesso then 10 layers of black spray paint. It was a deeper black than the image shows.
Just to say here that the results of black with the gold lettering on plywood worked out really well. The gesso was the solution to the plywood, although I had to be careful not to put too much on since it is so thick. (I actually had some in stock that I bought a year ago and never looked at again.) Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, in the hurry to get it out the door, I didn't take final photos after a good polishing. However, I know where it is going, but I don't know when it will get there. So, I'll wait until I visit the recipient Vietnam War veteran.
Plywood painted with 3 coats of gesso and 5 coats of black paint.
Plywood painted with 3 coats of gesso and 5 coats of black paint.