cutting board matching profiles

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
brunom
Model of CNC Machine: 30x48 longmill

cutting board matching profiles

Post by brunom »

I'm somewhat new to CNC work and I need some help/advise on a project I'm having an issue with. I started what I thought would be a fairly easy project but in part its got me down on the mat. The projects a cutting board, the main body is walnut with maple accents both running horizontal with purple heart end caps running vertical. The main body and end caps are curved to match one another and here is where I'm having difficulties. When I cut the two profiles (end cap's & main body) they don't match up, they touch in the muddle and are out about .005-.008 on both outer ends. I have tried cutting 1 piece on the inside of the line with the other piece on the outside, both on the line, and a combo of all only to get the same results. I'm thinking maybe trying the off-set function to maintain/mirror the curve of both pieces, but again I'm not really certain if that's the answer. I assume there's a reasonable easy way to achieve perfectly matching profiles so if you can please help me out it would be appreciated. I hope I've given a clear enough explanation of my problem, my main question is "how to perfectly match two mating profiles". Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

brunom
Model of CNC Machine: 30x48 longmill

Re: cutting board matching profiles

Post by brunom »

Maybe some clarification is needed, I said in my previous post that the profiles were curved, I should have said the two matting profiles are arced, hopefully this will maybe clear up my issue, thanks

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: cutting board matching profiles

Post by adze_cnc »

You've pretty much found the "best" way to do this. Cutting on a line is not going to work. Cutting one side and then cutting the other side should work. And indeed it does work on the screen because the model is perfect as it doesn't really exist.

Things the will affect your final cut in the "real world" are:
  • is your cutter exactly the size you tell the software that it is?
  • is the machine out of square?
  • how much flex is there in the machine... or in the cutter as it is moving?
  • is the cutter truly perpendicular to the material?
  • is the material moving during the cut?
  • are you climb-cutting and the cutter is being pulled into the material?