how to make a D shape hole

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
erict
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko-3

how to make a D shape hole

Post by erict »

hi, need to cut a simple hole in the shape of a D into material. Started with two vectors, circle and line, but couldn't find a simple way to create the shape using boolean logic. In the end I used the node tool to cut the excess and join the vectors. However, now if I ask for an inside cut, it actually cuts on the outside, and if I ask for an outside cut, it gives me an error "No toolpath generated for current parameters. Check tool can fit into selected vectors at machining depth". The hole is much bigger than the bit so size isn't the issue. Any hints on doing it correctly are appreciated.
Thanks.
[File att. VCarve Desktop 11.016]
Attachments
D shape test.crv
(123 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: how to make a D shape hole

Post by jfederer »

The toolpath calculations do not reference your vectors. Open Profile1 and manually click on the "D" outline. Recalculate, and you'll get what you want.

You probably had some other vectors before, but deleted them. The toopath calculations are still referencing them.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

erict

Post by erict »

Yes, I deleted other shapes, and forgot to delete their tool paths. However, once I removed all toolpaths, and then created a new profile toolpath, it still cuts on the outside when asked for the inside, and it still won't do an outside...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

erict wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:02 pm
Yes, I deleted other shapes, and forgot to delete their tool paths. However, once I removed all toolpaths, and then created a new profile toolpath, it still cuts on the outside when asked for the inside, and it still won't do an outside...
Your vector is an open vector not a closed vector. In the case of an open vector the Right/Left component of Outside/Inside comes into play as there is no way the software can know what the inside/outside of an open vector is.

If you close the vector then inside/outside will work as you're expecting.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

With what Adrian has already said you can add this to that too ----

You can highlight the open vector and change the start node in the edit node mode from one end to the other end of the vector and recalculate your toolpath. This is another option available but it is highly recommended that you understand what is happening with an open vector when using the PROFILE Toolpath. It will definitely help you in the future with other projects!!! :D

Sharkcutup
Last edited by sharkcutup on Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Here's a pic of your problem nodes. Also, be sure to set the tolerance to something other than zero in the join dialogue box. I stretched them out a bit to emphasize. The top one is a duplicate and you can just delete it.
Attachments
Problem nodes.png
Tolerance setting.png
Steve

erict

Post by erict »

Thank you all. I did not realize that I should run "Join Vectors" because it shows if it's open. I (wrongly) assumed that the Vector Validator would alert me if it's open - and it said all is good.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

An Open Vector is a legitimate vector so Vector Validator won't highlight it.
John
Maker of Chips