Logical Splitting of Large Carve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Logical Splitting of Large Carve

Post by jenordyke »

The nature of my controller and spindle is such that pausing a carve only pauses axis movement; the spindle continues to spin. As I am very hesitant to leave the machine running unattended, and besides would like to give both the spindle and my vac system a rest, I am looking for ways to split up large carve files into smaller carves. Is there a more elegant way to do this than my current practice of creating smaller, slightly overlapped bounding vectors and creating a file for each? With this strategy I sometimes get blemishes at the boundaries between two vector boxes.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Logical Splitting of Large Carve

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Look at adding tape splitting to a modified version of your post processor.

Tape Splitting Support
A section that describes how a long toolpath output will be split:

TAPE_SPLITTING=MAX_NUM_LINES LINE_TOL "FILENAME_FORMAT" START_INDEX INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE

For example a command of:

TAPE_SPLITTING=1000 100 "%s_%s.tap" 1 "YES"

would lead to...

Output will be split into multiple files of a maximum of 1000 lines (+ however many lines in there are within the footer section of the post processor), if a retract move exists after line 900 (1000 – 100), the file will be split at that move. If the file was called "toolpath" the split files would be named toolpath_1.tap, toolpath_2.tap etc. The first toolpath output will be "toolpath_ 1.tap" there will be no file named "toolpath" without an index number, (as INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE= YES is used), unless the file was less than 1000 lines long, in which case the file would not be split.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Logical Splitting of Large Carve

Post by adze_cnc »

See this post for changes needed to the above "TAPE_SPLITTING" modification.