which bits

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
andrew c
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee

which bits

Post by andrew c »

What is the best bit to cut the outside of your job, i`ve been using a 6mm 2 flute router bit. Is this the right bit.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: which bits

Post by Adrian »

Depends on many factors such as material, thickness, desired cut time, capabilities of machine etc..

6mm 2 flute down spiral bit is what I use 99% of the time on wood but I wouldn't use that on plastics or metals.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: which bits

Post by dealguy11 »

If cutting wood, a spiral up-cut will tend to splinter the surface, so either a down-cut or compression bit, which push the fibers down at the top, may be better choices. A compression bit is designed to cut out the item in one pass, which may be too much for your machine, so a down-cut would be a good choice in this situation. 2-flute is fine .

Plastics and metal require an up-cut bit to pull the chips out of the cut so they don't just melt in place. O-flute bits are designed for plastics. I don't cut metal very often...when cutting thin aluminum I have used an O-flute upcut bit. Otherwise I have little advice. 1- or 2-flute bits would be fine for your machine.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost