Ramp out?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Mike BC
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Elite Foreman

Ramp out?

Post by Mike BC »

Howdy,

I did a search to see if this has been asked, which it has a couple of times but couldn't really find any answers that made sense to me. I'm wondering why there is no ramp-out option? Lead-in/out is fine and dandy for profile cuts, although I've struggled with getting this to actually work as I'd like to remove the dwell mark. But what about pocket tool paths? For most woods, it's not too big of a problem but I've found with some hardwoods that I end up with a burn mark at the start/end of each pass when pocketing. By using a profile last option I can get this to a point where there is typically only one mark left. I feel like it would not be a huge ask to have a ramp out to eliminate this issue.

A few times I've also tried to run a core box bit to do a juice groove on a cutting board and end up with this same issue, this would typically be done as an on-path profile but lead-in/lead-out won't work for this situation. Admittedly the bit isn't necessarily a strong choice for a CNC but if there was a ramp-out option I feel like this would mitigate this bit burn problem in its entirety. I did see a mention of fluting in one response on this but I'm not looking to have a ramp at the ends, just a consistent depth all the way around. Admittedly, I haven't looked at the fluting very much, well really at all, so not sure if this can actually be done with ease.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: Ramp out?

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Mike BC wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:08 am
... Lead-in/out is fine and dandy for profile cuts, although I've struggled with getting this to actually work as I'd like to remove the dwell mark. But what about pocket tool paths? For most woods, it's not too big of a problem but I've found with some hardwoods that I end up with a burn mark at the start/end of each pass when pocketing. By using a profile last option I can get this to a point where there is typically only one mark left. I feel like it would not be a huge ask to have a ramp out to eliminate this issue....
Mike, where is the "burn mark" occurring? Is it on the bottom or side?

Why is your toolpath creating a "dwell?"

If I have burning, I associate that with too much rpm on the bit for that material.

Also, if I see a mark on the side or edge, I'm thinking that the bit is unloading at that point, and the structure moves slightly while the bit is retracted. You might need to tighten something in your Z-axis, or you just might be loading the cut too much. I would try a less aggressive cut, to an extreme, to see if the marking changes; hopefully lessens.

EDIT: Also, if you had a "ramp out", how would you get to full depth at that point?
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Ramp out?

Post by AboveCreations »

Exactly... ramp out doesn't make any sense. As for the burn marks, what are the tool and settings. It's a good idea to watch the chip load in each tool's settings. But it does sound like the rpm might be too high for the tool. But it also could be too slow of speed. Without knowing the tool and its settings that is causing the burn, we can only assume.