common cuts tool?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Robroy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer 5010

common cuts tool?

Post by Robroy »

Good day all, I was wondering if there is a tool in place that will allow us to apply a common cut tool path to a project. For example, if you have a job that needs 100 four by four inch pieces, you can nest them 1/4" apart from one another and then run your bit down the rows and then columns for quicker finishing times. At the moment, I draw a line then another 4.125" (the size of the object plus half the diameter of the tool) and then another line and replicate (copy/paste helps) to create a grid then I have to align that grid centered between the parts. Is there a quicker way here?

Thank you

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: common cuts tool?

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Robroy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:18 am
... 100 four by four inch pieces, you can nest them 1/4" apart from one another .... Is there a quicker way here?
You have a tool called "Array Copy" at the left under Offset and Layout that does exactly that. Do all your design for all of the replicated objects on the first object in the lower left. Then use Array Copy to replicate them with a 1/4" gap between them. There are other settings there, but that's the simplest case.

Of course, if that's all you are doing to the parts, then a table saw would be much faster! :D
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer 5010

Post by Robroy »

Thanks for the response, I am aware of how to setup the pieces but I need to figure out a quicker way to setup the lines in between so that I can create the toolpath for a common cut.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't think there is a tool that will do what you are wanting, best to send vectric a feature request as they keep a list of requests & where possible if enough people have asked try & introduce these to new versions. This is something that gets asked about from time to time on the forum.
The array copy will help speed up grid creation & there is a gadget I believe what will help with toolpathing by flipping the start point of every other line.
Time isn't that critical for me so I just use the array toolpath option on one part & let it cut some lines twice :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sort of feature probably exists in more expensive production type cam software if it's a Business you have & time is critical :lol: :lol:
Last edited by martin54 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like you're manually copying all the single line vectors. Why not use the array copy tool to create them? I can't think of a faster way of doing it.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Robroy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:48 pm
... need to figure out a quicker way to setup the lines in between so that I can create the toolpath ...
Offset copy your 4" square to 4.25". Array Copy that offset square 100 times (rows and columns) on a layer 1.

Copy layer 1 to a layer 2.

Use the trim tool to create the first toolpath (rows?) from layer 1.

Use the trim tool to create the second toolpath (columns?) from layer 2.

Or something like that.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I believe what the OP is asking is the CUT path, not how to do array copy.

I am also interested in a creative answer to the question.

The squares are array copied into a rectangular pattern with rows and columns.

To apply a toolpath to cut them out I choose a profile toolpath.
That works well, except is cuts one square at a time.

It may be more efficient to make cuts along the entire row, or column and cut all squares at one time, rather than individual.

Personally, I just let the toolpath cut the squares individually.
I have cut about 750 this way, and plan on many hundreds more.

So again, it's not about array copy - it's toolpathing.

I know there is some significant creative talent here and I would be interested in the creative thoughts of the group as well.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Leo, I believe the OP would like a way to produce a grid of single vectors that can be profile cut on the line so you prevent cutting some sides of each part twice :lol: :lol:
Cutting using a grid like this will speed up machining time as it does away with that double cut. The original post I believe was looking for an automatic or toolpath option to do this so that a grid didn't have to be set up each time this sort of work was done :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

A gadget could be made/created that the user could input the size of the square, how many and the size bit used. The gadget would/could layout both vertical and horizontal vectors on its own individual layers applying the alternating start point strategy. Then it could also create a toolpath for those vectors using the machine ON the vector.
Screenshot 2022-02-08 085629.png

This example 4" squares after carving ON the vector.

Just a Thought/Opinion!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:57 pm
A gadget could be made/created that the user could input the size of the square, how many and the size bit used. The gadget would/could layout both vertical and horizontal vectors on its own individual layers applying the alternating start point strategy. Then it could also create a toolpath for those vectors using the machine ON the vector.
Screenshot 2022-02-08 085629.png
This example 4" squares after carving ON the vector.

Just a Thought/Opinion!!!

Sharkcutup
On you go then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I avoid anything to do with that side of things, often thought about learning but have to many other things already :lol: :lol:
Sounds reasonably simple but I have learnt that often the simplest sounding things are the most difficult :lol: :lol:
There was a suggestion of a gadget for placing circles on letters on another thread which sounded quite simple but I don't think will be as easy to create as it first looks, not saying that someone with the right know-how can't do it but from my own experience with flat cut letters the locators are never evenly spaced on a letter & as a letter size increases the number of locators on each letter doesn't increase proportionally :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There's no need to alternate start points as the software handles that automatically for a grid like that these days.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:10 pm
There's no need to alternate start points as the software handles that automatically for a grid like that these days.
I didn't realise that, I really need to start paying more attention to changes :lol: :lol:

There was a post not long ago about something similar & a gadget was suggested to alternate end points, guessing the original poster was using an earlier version of the software or what they were trying to do was slightly different :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Interesting because it did not do that for me.
I created one vertical line then array copy how many I wanted at the intervals I wanted. The vectors were all pointed the same way. So I used the alternating gadget to fix them.

Strange??? I will investigate further.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:11 pm
Interesting because it did not do that for me.
Optimize start points in the Start At tab needs to be selected.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Nope!, Not for me after array copy of first vertical vector. All vectors pointing same way!!!

See attached image!
Screenshot 2022-02-08 131556.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004