Font Management

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
AWalla
Model of CNC Machine: Grunblau Platform

Font Management

Post by AWalla »

Hi, does anyone know of any good tricks to manage fonts better in vCarve?

I use a tool called FontBase to dynamically install and uninstall fonts into the windows font catalog, which helps a bit -- but there is so many other fonts by default in Windows or vCarve that its always a hunt to browse for the one I am looking for. Most of the default ones I am uninterested with.

I know there is the recent font list, but I have hundreds of fonts and don't always have them all installed (hence the FontBase install/uninstall trick). For instance I have a folder called "script", and "print handwriting". Once I know I want to use "print handwriting" for my project and intall these fonts, they are sprinkled amonsgt the pile of other ones and makes it difficult to find them.

Any ideas? Happy to put in a feature request -- maybe an option to hide a list of fonts or vCarve installed ones (I am looking at you AmdtSymbols and AIGDT) ? Or at least sort them differently? Also happy to change my workflow if someone has a better idea...

Thanks,
Andy

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Font Management

Post by scotttarnor »

Just guessing here, Could you create a template of the font and save it to a folder of font templates ?
Scott T

@scottscnc

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Under "Edit, Options" you can choose how many of the recently used fonts appear at the top of the font list.
Attachments
Font list.png
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you type the first letter of a font the list will go straight to the fonts starting with that.

AWalla
Model of CNC Machine: Grunblau Platform

Post by AWalla »

Thanks all -- typing the letter works, the only problem is I usually don't know the name of them all, and just want to scroll through and pick one from the group.

The issue with the recent font ones, is this too -- doesn't solve for me being able to browse the fonts by group. It has the last bunch I've used (which is pretty good to do), but sometimes I want to explore and see what possibilities I can try on the new design.

If there were a way to just hide all the junky/janky ones which I will never use, I think this would be close enough to what I need. I was thinking maybe there is a utility where I can rename fonts, so all the non-included ones could start with an underscore to enable them to all group together....

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Vectric doesn't have any sort of font management really, it uses the windows installed fonts so the only way to get them not to show in Vcarve is to delete them from the windows font folder.
I did ask if some sort of font management could be included with one of the Version updates a few years ago but maybe not enough people would like to see font management or it is not an easy thing to include from a programming point of view.
I have font management for my signmaking software which means I don't have to have a gazillion fonts installed in the windows font folder but the problem with that is that then they don't show up when I am using Vectric software :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Make a backup copy of the fonts folder (c:\windows\fonts). Then delete the unwanted fonts. The fonts folder isn't anything special. Vectric programs will list/use any legitimate (True Type) font in that folder. Remember though, all other Windows programs use that folder also. I might also add a note: Windows loads all of the fonts at startup so it will load and run faster with fewer fonts. Windows will slow down noticeably if there is an excessive number of them.
Steve

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

I keep a separate spreadsheet of fonts I like to use, sorted by type and including some data that I find useful.
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II