Tilt text on Z axis

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
dboyles@epbfi.com
Model of CNC Machine: FoxAlien Vasto

Tilt text on Z axis

Post by dboyles@epbfi.com »

Question from a newbie. I am looking at making a desk sign and want to jazz it up a little. I am trying to tilt the top of the text slightly backward on the Z axis. I am using VCarve Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Tilt text on Z axis

Post by Phil »

Take a look at the attachment. If this is what you are looking for it can be accomplished with the Distort Tool. Use the Bounding Box and adjust the top nodes.

Phil
Attachments
Distort.jpg

dboyles@epbfi.com

I am trying but can't seem to get it to distort along the Z Axis like what is shown below in the side view. The text top is set in farther than the bottom of the text by about 30°
Attachments
Side view.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

How would you machine that? You would need a dovetail style cutter to machine the right hand edge as it's an undercut. Z axis is all about the tool and cut depths rather than vectors unless you're dealing with a model.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

The easiest way is to make it in two parts. The sign itself and the base. Without exaggeration, I have made at least 50 of these. There are 2 things I do to get the tilt.

1. Bevel the bottom of the name with a disk sander.
2 Tilt the name sign itself using the tilt function in the properties

I use 5 minute epoxy and screws from the bottom to attach it in the slot in the base. This pic doesn't really show the tilt but it leans back about 30 degrees from vertical.

I'd be happy to provide you with a link to the file but the tilt function is part of the modeling functions of Aspire so you wouldn't be able to open it
Attachments
Angela.png
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve

dboyles@epbfi.com

That is the side view of a 2-sided cut. I visualize it like a laptop screen that is open to an angle to get the screen at the right angle.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

dboyles@epbfi.com wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:13 pm
That is the side view of a 2-sided cut. I visualize it like a laptop screen that is open to an angle to get the screen at the right angle.
So it's two separate pieces? A base which you put the text into? That's the only way I can see of doing it as Steve does with his. You can't do it one piece.

So use a moulding or fluting toolpath cut a 30 degree angle slot in the base with the depth being enough for the leading edge of the separate text to be level with the front of the slot.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you bevel the bottom of the sign itself you really don't need to bevel the bottom of the slot. Technically, the sides of the slot would need to be beveled but the depth doesn't need to be deep enough to justify it. It's not structural, just a name sign. I make the bottom of the name slightly rounded or domed so there isn't any gap. The Epoxy takes care of the rest.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I guess a slot is really not even needed. You could just bevel the bottom of the name and attach it with epoxy and screws from the bottom.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

True. I was getting hung up on the drawing so the bevel would have to be an undercut in that case but of course there's nothing say the bevel can't start from the other face in which case the mounting base can be flat and the text base is angled.