CNC terrain carving with streets/buildings

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
JStillman
Model of CNC Machine: Bob's CNC Evolution 4

CNC terrain carving with streets/buildings

Post by JStillman »

Is there way to include streets and/or buildings in CNC carvings? I'm currently importing STL files from Terrain2STL but, of course, the files only include geographical data. I've tried Blender with the GIS add-on, and it does seem to produce a layer for highway and other data for small areas but when I import the STL file into VCarve, the resolution of the terrain is extremely low and the building/highway layer is elevated above the terrain model. Not sure how to merge to two layers.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: CNC terrain carving with streets/buildings

Post by adze_cnc »

You might try a web search (DuckDuckGo, Bing, Google, etc.) for extracting such info from Google Earth. I seem to recall reading a few such sites years ago.

jmmstm
Model of CNC Machine: Opwnbuilds Lead

Re: CNC terrain carving with streets/buildings

Post by jmmstm »

There are probably better ways to do it but I did a screen shot of the map of the terrain that showed the roads and imported into a vector editing program and them manually traced them. Also you can download files that include glb which includes a tiff layer that is a screenshot of the area that you are downloading. Then you can use that image to trace the roads. Try https://elevationapi.com/playground_3dosm You have to download an extension that will strip the glb files out from GitHub. It has been a while since I did this and don’t remember exactly how it works.
Attachments
A64928A5-A9DC-4C97-B3A8-DFA57926EA45.jpeg
0590D6DD-C1AF-46A9-AB26-DA05CCB75CF2.jpeg