Acrylic

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
ReneeL1980
Model of CNC Machine: LEAD CNC

Acrylic

Post by ReneeL1980 »

Hello

I have just started trialing some cuts out of acrylic (fine ish text) and I am finding some of my letters looks a bit wobbly, rather than a perfect straight, Im thinking it may be the speed I am cutting? Could it be my bit? I am currntly using a 2mm Up Cut End Mill.
Any tips on "tabs" for plastic, it is so time consuming filing those bad boys and as I am using small text I need a few to avoid snapping my material. All tips and tricks welcome!!

Thanks

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Acrylic

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Renee,

Please post some photos.

More details too - feed, speed, material thickness, your hold-down method - anything that can help us help you.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Post by Todd D »

Hi Renee

Along with what Michael said above you may want to research the tape and glue hold down method so you won't need tabs and also what type of acrylic? cast cuts better than extruded for me it also must be flat especially for small letters

ReneeL1980
Model of CNC Machine: LEAD CNC

Post by ReneeL1980 »

Thankyou!!

I slowed the speed down and it helped alot! as a result I dont need such heavier tabs!

Will give the double sided tape a go!

Thanks heaps

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try a search on the forum, cutting acrylic is a question that comes up from time to time so there will already be quite a lot of useful info posted about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

nmflyr
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by nmflyr »

You should try an "O" flute bit. They are designed for acrylics and plastics. That may make the lettering cuts cleaner.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

I have an Axiom AR6 Pro and cut a lot of Cast Acrylic, I use an amana 51411 0 flute bit using the published speed and feeds.... never had a problem over the last several years using this bit... I do use a conservative depth of cut as time is not a cost for me.
With my recent purchase of an 80Watt laser all my cutting is now done on the laser except pockets which I still use my cnc.
Ron
Crafers Crafts