Making Dish

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Making Dish

Post by gkas »

3D Model Manipulation in VCarve Part 1 Episode 33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CXZSitTuzg

3D Model Manipulation in VCarve 2 Episode 34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_T6Tm5r6c

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Esteeme and Gerry!
You never know where a thread is going to go. :)
Now Can watch one of the Masters during a 2hr cut coming right up!
(after coffee, as I couldn't even multiply my offset in my head a second ago(3.75X5) a second ago:( )
Keep meaning to watch Michael's stuff, but something always comes up before I Do it. :(
It sounds like a good one too! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

rdevine
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by rdevine »

So here it is. First thing I notice is the sides are too thin at the top. Almost need a 1/8" side wall. The sides are like razors. Very sharp. Just its the first run.
IMG_2031.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_2027.jpeg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The other images of this tray at: https://www.designcraftworkshop.com/col ... valet-tray show a few things:
  • tray is not quite that deep
  • tray's walls are shallow and the angle with the sides is not that acute
  • there is an intimation that the ends (with Mr. Short-Grain) are flat on top

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

How can I expand the side walls to make the sides thicker that follows the contour of the final shape? Right now the walls are too sharp. Just looking to have a side wall that is 1/16" thick. I hope that makes sense.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

I would add another vector a bit to the outside and use that for the outer perimeter tool path.You can use the "Offset" tool.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

Adding another vector for the outside perimeter just makes the piece bigger. I want to make the side wall thicker but maintain the shape that it has. Note the image below. See how thin the wall is at the top due to the moulding tool path. I essentially want to pull the side wall profile outward making it not as "sharp".
IMG_2031.jpeg

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Using the same vector for both the moulding toolpath and the perimeter toolpath will always leave a sharp edge unless you change the drive rail. So add the second toolpath to the inside instead and redefine it for the moulding toolpath. Or put it on the outside, then resize the entire assembly to your desired outer dimensions. Or give the drive rail a flat top. Now that I picture it, that would be the best solution.

Oops! I just had another look at the file and see that there are already 2 vectors. I think that editing the drive rail will be the way to tackle this, although it may be trial and error to get the result you want. Or you could just sand the top to round over the sharp edge.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

My first thought was to edit the profile vector to put a flat or curved top on it. The corners will be improved, but not the sides because the profile goes outside the perimeter.

If you had Aspire, you could make a component from the toolpath preview, reduce the component's height by a small amount, then create a profile toolpath projected onto that component on the perimeter to flatten it. Unfortunately, I don't think VCarve can create a component from the toolpath preview.

You could go ahead and put a flat or curve on top of the profile vector to improve the corners, then carefully sand the sides to more or less match.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost