Making Dish

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
rdevine
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Making Dish

Post by rdevine »

Hi.

I am newish to VCarve Desktop. Ive been using it for about 6 months. However I have been doing just simple pockets and contours. I want to start expanding my talents to more complex creations. I want to try and make a simple dish with a rounded transition from the side wall to bottom. Example below.
IMG_2001.PNG
Am I completely overthinking this and something like a simple round bit like one used for juice grooves on cutting boards will do the trick? Trying to get as much done on the CNC to avoid a ton of sanding. I have many bits at my disposal like round nose, up/down bits, etc.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Making Dish

Post by jimandi5000 »

That is a vice nice dish.

Great Job!
Thanks,
Jim

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I want to try and make a simple dish with a rounded transition from the side wall to bottom.
Use a bowl bit or a bowl bit designed to be used in a CNC machine.
bowl-tray-bit-form-router-bits-whiteside-machine-company-12-carbide-tip-34-20-united-states_628.jpg
bOWLANDtRAY.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

May take this approach myself.....excuse the down and dirty file...needs tweaking.
Attachments
D AND D TRAY.jpg
8.2.21 DOWN AND DIRTY TRAY CONCEPT.crv
(93.5 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

A bit for specifically this. Could it be that easy. Thanks guys.

I’ll also download that file and see how you are tackling it. Appreciate the help. Will keep you posted.

The image I provided was from a guy I follow. I know he made his dish from other software. A little too advanced for my skill set that I have now.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:33 am
Use a bowl bit
What depth increments do you use on a bit like that?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

What depth increments do you use on a bit like that?
Start with the pass depth at 50% of the cutting edge length.

Feeds and speeds would be similar to an end mill -- which is heavily dependent on you spindle and machine's capability.

Make sure the bit does NOT have a bearing on it.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I really like the shape of that tray. Here are 2 alternatives that I think come a little closer to the original shape. The first uses a 2-inch core box bit to cut the curve, which may be too big for your Shapeko to run. The second makes the exact same curve using a moulding toolpath with a 1/4" ballnose bit.
Attachments
Tray.JPG
Tray using moulding toolpath.crv
(826 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Tray using core box bit.crv
(260 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Aah....I think you're more correct Steve.
At 4'ish when I looked at the pic the 2 closest edges looked as if as they went deeper,
there was a flat that got wider.
Just zoomed on pic and yours is keeping more with the pic.
Optical delusion before coffee fully consumed. :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

I messed around with the file you created, thanks for that. Are you able to ramp up from the bottom to the sides? Think this has better look than just a straight wall.

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

Sorry. I missed your reply. Ill take a look.

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

Steve,

The moulding version is spot on. Thank you! I am dissecting your work so I can fully understand your workflow. Im not quite sure I understand the moulding toolpath. If I wanted to adjust the height of the walls how can I adjust that toolpath to allow for that?

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

There are a lot of things going on with this tray, so adjusting the height of the sides is a balance between adjusting the shape of the rail and profile vectors for the sweep:

1. If you flatten the curve of the sides on the inside vector that is used as the rail for the moulding toolpath it will increase the height of the sides but not the corners
2. Changing the depth of the pocket and also the height (but not width) of the moulding profile vector changes the height a bit

Frankly I did some trial and error to come up with what I did. I came up with the curve by assuming a 2" core box bit, cutting .625" deep which will give you something less than 1" for the width of the curve. Then I created the rail for the sweep so that the corners would be approximately the width of the profile curve from the cutout vector, and then curved the sides of the rail so that the moulding toolpath would cut beyond the cutout vector. I played around with that curve until I had something I liked.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

rdevine

Post by rdevine »

Thanks Steve. As I mentioned I am new to these types of cuts. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos to understand more how it uses the extrusions along the shapes/lines. Rather than just cutting out your file I want to understand how each component works and how I can easily tweak sections to get the adjustments I would need.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time and entertaining my questions.

Looking forward to posting my own finished product. My friend wanted some dishes for her end table. She wanted to purchase some junk from Target. Naturally my creative mind kicked in and told her I’ll make her something better and not to mention make something with better material. Gives me the opportunity to use more function of VCarve.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Michael Mezalick did a video on clipart manipulation in V-carve Pro. It would be a good idea to view it. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/