File Extension

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
J Paul M
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

File Extension

Post by J Paul M »

I'm using VCarve Pro and a OneFinity Woodworker. When looking online for project files on line (i.e. on Etsy), do I need to concentrate on getting a particular type of file or file extension?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: File Extension

Post by gkas »

AFIK you will not find Vectric CRV files on Etsy. Comb these Vectric boards and you will find LOTS of free files that folks have donated for general use. Also, there are lots of free files that come with the example tutorials.
lots of free projects from Michael Tyler. Most of these are available when you log in to your Vectric account. https://www.vectric.com/?utm_medium=ema ... 20a%20look

You can also import jpg files and trace them. Import dfx, dwg, svg, ai and pdf vector files.

Start watching the Vectric Training videos, in sequence. Don't cherry pick. I'm always amazed at the tidbits I pick up when I re-watch them. https://www.vectric.com/support/tutorials/vcarve-pro

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It really depends on what you want to do, some good advice from gkas on where & what to look for if you would like projects that will help you to learn how to use the software & with Michael Tylers project files how to go about using lots of different finishing techniques.

If you are looking for files that you can import to work on such as vector based files, or 3D models that you can import to toolpath then you are best looking at the Vectric support website for that sort of info for your software.
This page lists some of those file types
https://support.vectric.com/aspire-ques ... e-imported

There is a seperate page for 3D file types such as STL

One thing to be aware of is it can be a little confusing if you are new to it so when buying make sure you know what you are getting, what I mean by that is certain file types will support both vector & bitmap data so an EPS file may contain just vector data, just bitmap data or a combination of the two. If you buy an EPS file thinking it is all vectors that you can cut straight away & it contains only a bitmap image then you aren't really getting what you had expected. Although it may not be the end of the world because you may still be able to trace it :lol: :lol: :lol:

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

I have good luck with SVG (scalable vector graphics) format. There are many vendors on Etsy and standalone sites that have great artwork inexpensively. SVG imports well into VCarve and is easy to edit, resize, etc.