Letter cut outs with sharp corners

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
chunkstyle

Letter cut outs with sharp corners

Post by chunkstyle »

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums but didn't find any solutions for the problem at hand. Apologies if it's been covered already.

I'm cutting some letters out of 1.25" material. Customer asked if I could radius off the top edge of the letters with a .25" radius bit. I said sure I could (worst case scenario I would do it by hand with trim router and bit).

Question is if I could make the inside corners (like in a upper case A, for example) by using a plunging radius bit in a way that's similar to internal V carved corners?

Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Letter cut outs with sharp corners

Post by Adrian »

If you want to do it on the CNC then what you need is what's called a point roundover bit which you can use with the profile toolpath.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I have a picture in my head as to what you want. In my head I don't see any way possible except by hand, with a small file to blend it all in. To my knowledge there is nothing in Vectric similar to an engraving v-carve toolpath that would work with a pointy roundover bit, to make the sharp corners on a roundover inside corner. Although, THAT "would" be a really "nice to have" feature.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

chunkstyle

Post by chunkstyle »

Thanks Adrian.

Yes, point roundover bit. I have one ordered and on its way. https://www.amanatool.com/56123-carbide ... 1&fp=10850

This bit makes sense for doing the plunge and rounding over on the machine but can it make a more coped inside corner appearance as opposed to a radius..?

I think that would have to work similar to how it's achieved with a V carve inside corner. The bit would retract out as it cuts the corner but, instead of a straight line path, the bit would have to follow an arc path to achieve a coped look.

Possible?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Don't forget you'll have the round cutout to deal with as it's an interior cut so a roundover coming to a point would look a bit odd. You could "lie" to the software and tell it the bit is a v-bit I guess and use the Sharp Internal Corners option. It would take a bit of experimenting to get the pass depths right I expect if it would work at all.

Personally I do them on the router table with a pilot bearing tool that matches the diameter of the cutout tool as I find that to be more efficient than changing bits on the CNC.

chunkstyle

Post by chunkstyle »

Thanks Adrian,

I guess getting a coped inside corner, similar to coping running trim stock, is not going to work then on the machine.

I take your point on doing secondary operations rather than the CNC. Always a question of where to do the work that makes the process go quicker.

If only the program would carve like a V bit but take a radius path coming out of the corners. That would be sweet.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Only way I know to get a coped inside corner on something like this is with a moulding toolpath and a smallish ballnose bit.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

No Idea how you might be able to do this other than by hand especially on a letter of that sort of thickness but question is would you actually gain anything if you could?
Reason I say that is because you have to take viewing distance into account. If your corners have a small radius then from a few feet away you would need eagle eyesight to be able to tell if they were radiused or not :lol: :lol: :lol:
At 1.25 inch thickness these must be reasonably large letters so viewing distance will be more than a few feet away.