Technique For 3D Vcarve Inlay?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Technique For 3D Vcarve Inlay?

Post by jenordyke »

Is there a technique for performing a Vcarve Inlay (both male and female) on an uneven surface? For example, the classic "waving flag" project - can one complete the roughing pass of the wavy surface, inlay alternating stripes, and then perform the finishing pass? I have been using traditional pockets and inserting strips before the roughing pass, but I think perhaps a vcarved pocket would produce a tighter/nicer glue line. If going with a vcarve inlay, you would either need to be almost at the finished depth or need a way to compensate for the remaining material to be removed so that the angled sides of the male portion still produce a finished "stripe" that is the correct width....

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Technique For 3D Vcarve Inlay?

Post by gkas »

Do the inlay BEFORE the flag carve.

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Post by jenordyke »

I don't think that works - the inlay sides are angled or sloped inward, and so would get "narrower" as surface material is removed, wouldn't they? With Vcarve Pro, I don't find an option to "project" an inlay onto 3D model.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I have thought about doing this on 1911 grips. I think on the inlay in addition to flipping it horizontally that I’d need to flip the grip and subtract the 3D pattern before projecting the male v carve inlay on top of it. I don’t see why it would not work. But I’ve been wrong before.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

That"s a tough one as you would need the inverse of your model to apply the male inlay onto. Subtracting the model won't work without the inverse. I don"t believe there is a way with Vectric products to mirror a negative model. Might be wrong and I hope someone points that feature out. With Aspire I can create the 2 models needed from scratch, but I don't think with VCarve Pro you can.

I did a mild 3d Vinlay on a simple convex model (.375" height) and created the inverse for the male inlay, You wouldn't want to inlay after the Roughing toolpath as that would present all sorts of problems gluing the male in. I compensated for loss of height and ran 1 Finish toolpath prior to the inlays. This piece took 4 Finish toolpaths to complete.

Sakura_Male.JPG

Sakura Barrette.JPG

I think if I were doing the wavy flag this way I think I would cut full depth sections and glue it all up butcher block style. Sounds like you already have the vectors isolated for the alternating wood so you could use a profile toolpath cut full depth and make up all the pieces to glue together. That way width and depth of stripes would all be uniform.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get