Fonts (Typesets) suggestions

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Fonts (Typesets) suggestions

Post by zeighty »

This may have been asked a million times, so for you experts please forgive me.

I struggle with selecting fonts with almost every project. In particular script style fonts. I have a bunch and I think I need to delete about 3/4 of them.
My issues are with v carving with a 60° v bit. Often the vectors for a font are so close that when I go to cut I have had the bit just barely touch the wood. Far too shallow.
I often use a 30° v bit for some finer text in some projects, but it can be a bit deep.

My goal for simple projects not to have to do a bit change. klkff

So my question(s):
  • Font suggestions for script fonts
    Font suggestions for non-scrip fonts
Your help is appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Fonts (Typesets) suggestions

Post by Adrian »

Depends a lot on how small the text is. From the problems you're experiencing I would guess it's very small?

Have you tried using the single line fonts with a profile toolpath set to be On the vector with a v-bit? That's what I use for very small text and there are script variants in there. You can choose single line fonts from the text tool. The selection is quite limited as it's a proprietary format but the selection has always covered my needs. You can easily play around with the depth as well as it's controlled purely by the cut depth.

If you really want to do v-carve toolpaths then the thing to look for is fonts that are quite wide in the the stroke to let the bit drop down as far as possible between the vectors. Bold variants of fonts work well.

zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by zeighty »

Adrian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 am
Depends a lot on how small the text is. From the problems you're experiencing I would guess it's very small?

Have you tried using the single line fonts with a profile toolpath set to be On the vector with a v-bit? That's what I use for very small text and there are script variants in there. You can choose single line fonts from the text tool. The selection is quite limited as it's a proprietary format but the selection has always covered my needs. You can easily play around with the depth as well as it's controlled purely by the cut depth.

If you really want to do v-carve toolpaths then the thing to look for is fonts that are quite wide in the the stroke to let the bit drop down as far as possible between the vectors. Bold variants of fonts work well.
Your suggestion of sigle line fonts using a profile toolpath / v-carve bit is something I will try. That just may work.
Yes, I am aware of the vector spacing and the resultant depth of the cut. A lot of my lettering is around 1" to 1.5" height for upper case letters.
Thanks for taking the time to give me some ideas. I really appreciate it.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Edwardian Script is one of my "goto" fonts
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

I purchased Milkstore font bundle and use it often, including the script.
Also on my list for what you described is Freehand 581 BT, it has pretty wide vectors separation.
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II