Trying to Carve Small Txt

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
ChrisG1630
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD510

Trying to Carve Small Txt

Post by ChrisG1630 »

Hello, I'm about 3 months new into CNC and Vectric. Trying to make Golf ball markers for my league. They are 1.5" diameter and .25 thick, dual sides. I cannot figure out how to to the text. I do not know what bit to use or if it is even possible. Do I need to be in the engrave feature? I have multiple sizes of v bits down to 11 degree.
I plan to paint inside the text and sand. Would appreciate any advice on how I could get this done.
File Attached for review.
Thank you,
Chris
Attachments
Ball Marker.pdf
(283.13 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Trying to Carve Small Txt

Post by FixitMike »

I would use a 45° V-bit and a single line font and use the Profile toolpath on the line .040" deep for the lettering. . If they are to be cut on both sides, set up the material for a double side job. Put a couple of tabs on the profile cut that cuts them out so they don't get loose when you cut the pieces out. Profile the cutout on the second side to be cut.

The VCarve toolpath can also work. I like Times New Roman font.

For finishing, brush on a coat of clear varnish or shellac to prevent bleeding. Then fill the letters (I use acrylic paint, slightly thinned.) with the desired color. Wipe off the excess fill, let dry, and then sand to clean up. Finish as desired (I like wipie-on poly.)

These are suggestions, not rules. There are many other ways that work.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ChrisG1630
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD510

Re: Trying to Carve Small Txt

Post by ChrisG1630 »

Thanks Mike. Ill give it a try