Importing SVG

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Importing SVG

Post by ronald44181000 »

Is there a particular reason why I can't Import SVG files from Inkscape v1.02? No Matter what I do they are refusing to appear whenever I attempt to import them into the program.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Importing SVG

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you post an example SVG file that isn’t working?

User Forum - How do I upload files or photos to the forum?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I import or open SVG files created in Inkscape several times a day without issue.

The attached file (it's zipped as SVG isn't a valid upload extension on the forum ) was created in Inkscape 1.02 and imports and opens no problem for me if you want to test with something that you know works.

Also which version of VCarve are you running? There have been several updates to the SVG import since it was added so maybe you're using an older version that doesn't support a feature that you have in your files? The dot release prior to the current 10.514 had updates for SVG imports for example.
Attachments
test.zip
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I run into that problem on occasion and one thing that works for me is to go under Edit and Resize Page to Selection or I might Save As to a different SVG format or PDF. When those don't work it's usually time for me to see if a bitmap image conversion, if there is a bitmap file available, would do the job.

ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Post by ronald44181000 »

I'm using VCarve Pro v9.5 and the latest version of Inkscape as of yesterday. I have tried every SVG Extension in the Dropdown List and I get nothing. I'd attach a copy of the SVG but it isn't allowed. So I saved it as a .png file.
Attachments
Sue Morgan1.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Saving it as a PNG isn't going to work for trouble shooting purposes as you're totally changing the format of the file. An SVG is a vector based format and PNG is a bitmap. However looking at the file my guess is it's a bitmap embedded within an SVG file which you can't import using the vector import.

What is it you're trying to do the file if you could import it?

You can zip it and attach it like I did with the example file I posted.

It might be worth downloading the trial of VCarve 10.5 and seeing it if you can import the file using that. As I say there have been many updates to the SVG import so it just might be that your version can't do it.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

My thought is that there is no problem with the SVG import. As there appears to be no vectors involved no vectors were exported and no vectors were imported—successfully.

If the intent for the "SVG" file is to brings this image into VCarve to perform a "Photo V-Carve Toolpath" ( https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V10.0/Asp ... veStrategy ) then import the PNG file as the source bitmap.

Perhaps reading about the differences between vector and raster graphic files might be of use for future work? https://blog.acromedia.com/graphic-file ... -vs-raster