drag bit question

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
kdwiz57
Model of CNC Machine: home built w/ mach3

drag bit question

Post by kdwiz57 »

I am new to using a drag bit so here is my question. I did a kitten image and where the drag bit filled in a large area it seemed to drag deeper on some passes and so the filled area was not even, it looked like in some places it "tore" material. I am using the fill option with a .001 step over and .028 drag pressure. Should I use air to blow on the bit as it drags to eliminate any build up on the bit? should I make my step over larger like maybe .005?
Any tips would be appreciated.
I have done images that were outlined with a .030 drag pressure and they came out looking good.
kitten snip.PNG

Juder
Model of CNC Machine: 4040XE

Re: drag bit question

Post by Juder »

Don't know what material you are using, but, if it is is "Cast" Acrylic, the thickness can very slightly. My recommendation is to get a "Spring Loaded Diamond Tip Drag Bit"! Amazon has them and they also sell a refill for it at less money. It has worked wonderful for all my acrylic engravings! Set the cut depth for about 1/8" and set the depth per pass the same and it will finish the job in one pass. If it turns out it does not cut deep or (dark) enough, you can set the cut depth a little deeper, or, you can turn the set screw in more on the bit to increase the pressure. JUST REMEMBER!!! You CAN NOT use a Z-Probe with this diamond tip bit!! Z height has to be set manually!! You also DO NOT run the spindle or router! Give it a try!