Tool path orientation?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
KJRiley
Model of CNC Machine: Paranha XL

Tool path orientation?

Post by KJRiley »

Hi all,
I'm using VCarve desktop 10.5 with a Next Wave Pahana XL CNC with a 12 X 24 rectangular work surface. As you would look straight down onto the work surface from the side of the machine it cuts the part out from "left to right".
When I create a file to cut I need to orient the drawing "north/south" in VCarve in order for the CNC to cut it in the right direction.
I know it's a small annoyance to draw the file out left to right in VCarve and then remember to turn it 90 degrees before saving the .tap file.
If I forget to do that the gantry goes all the way to the stops trying to side in an attempt to get to the first cutting spot.
So, the question is am I missing a "switch" in VCarve that tells the CNC, Oh BTW cut it like this not how it looked on the screen :lol: ?
Or is it just WYSYWIG and I just continue as I've been doing.

Thanks
Kevin

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Tool path orientation?

Post by TReischl »

This subject has been beaten to a pulp in several threads. You might want to do a search or maybe someone with better searching skills than I can point you in the right direction.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

KJRiley

Post by KJRiley »

Well after finally getting the right keywords I found a couple of those threads.
Yeah, no fix just turn it 90 degrees

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

In a way there is a fix. The next time you need a computer upgrade, or if you feel that want to add a second monitor to your computer setup, consider getting a monitor that can rotate to "portrait mode".

KJRiley

Post by KJRiley »

I have that but when doing signs and such it's much easier the create the files as you would read it. Doing that vertically is just painful.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

In a way there is a fix.
or swap your X and Y cables
or change the post-processor to swap X and Y
or get used to the XY orientation and, depending on how your material is arranged, rotate everything before you toolpath and save the output
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

KJRiley

Post by KJRiley »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:55 pm
[quote
or get used to the XY orientation and, depending on how your material is arranged, rotate everything before you toolpath and save the output
Yup I've settled on that until and if ever Vectric adds the function.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

If I were a betting man I would lay dollars to donuts that Vectric is never going to offer that option.

And there is a reason. The standard cartesian coordinate system is X horizontal, plus to the right.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Solidworks, for whatever perverse reason, thinks that the Y axis is "up". I am constantly having to rotate models exported from it by 90 degrees to get Z up.

You could tell that the people who created the Solidworks model rendering engine were different than those who created the Solidworks modelling engine. Objects' shadows would be cast "on the wall" and not "on the floor"—they knew which way Z was...

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

adze_cnc wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 pm
Solidworks, for whatever perverse reason, thinks that the Y axis is "up". I am constantly having to rotate models exported from it by 90 degrees to get Z up.

There was a time when some developers thought that Z axis should go into the screen, maybe they were having a divinity complex, as if they were looking down on the whole world.